TERRIFYING TRUTH ABOUT DANGERS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING IN RENTED ACCOMODATION Monday 25 June 2007 PDF Print FireAngel, one of the UK’s leading producers of high technology safety products such as smoke alarms and fire protection devices, is urging people to get wise to carbon monoxide poisoning after research revealed a shocking lack of knowledge among householders and tenants. A survey taken on behalf WAKE UP, a national campaign to highlight the dangers of home fires and CO poisoning, revealed almost a third of people do not know what the gas is and where it comes from. Another worrying find is that out of the respondents almost half (41 per cent) said they were unaware of the dangers of carbon monoxide, also known as CO, and almost three quarters (74 per cent) do not have a carbon monoxide detector. The findings of the survey ties in to recent research by British Gas, which revealed a shocking lack of awareness about the potentially deadly dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning among residents in temporary accommodation. The research found that a quarter of respondents say they wouldn’t bother to report the smell of gas or a malfunctioning gas fire, four in 10 have never seen a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record, and two out of five would ignore feeling sick and getting headaches – tell-tale signs of CO poisoning. Now FireAngel, which manufactures carbon monoxide detectors, is urging householders and particularly those living in rented accommodation to educate themselves with the help of the WAKE UP campaign. WAKE UP aims to change attitudes and raise public awareness of the threat, while highlighting measures householders can take to reduce the risk and protect their families. WAKE UP, sponsored by members of the fire prevention industry and backed by prominent politicians and media personalities, provides useful advice in a simple-to-understand way via its website – www.wakeup-campaign.org. John Walsh, Managing Director of FireAngel, said: “There results are staggering. “It exposes the need for more widespread education about this potentially lethal problem with those living in temporary or rented accommodation being at the top of the list.” The issue of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels abroad hit the headlines in October last year when a seven-year-old girl and a six-year-old boy were found dead in a room in Corfu. The British brother and sister had been poisoned by a gas boiler next to their room. FireAngel manufacture a range of carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms, including portable carbon monoxide alarms small enough to fit into hand luggage. TOP TIPS FOR TENANTS 1. Ask for your Landlord’s Gas Safety Record. They have to show you them by law. Don’t be afraid to push the matter – it’s your life at stake. 2. Fit a CO detector in your home. 3. Don’t ignore any potential problems with gas appliances in your home. You pay your rent so landlords are obligated to ensure your safety. For more information log on at www.fireangel.co.uk Editor’s Notes: For further information please contact Century PR on 024 7622 8881 or email email@example.com This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Century PR in the following categories: Health, for more information visit http://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.