First ever UK Small Business Server customer YO! Sushi joins new customers, KPMG, London Chamber of Commerce and Technology Means Business to launch the latest version
London - Microsoft® today announced the general availability of Microsoft® Small Business Server® 2000, the third-generation version of its networking solution, designed specifically to address the needs of small businesses with 50 or fewer PCs. The launch was attended by the first ever customer to install Small Business Server in 1997, YO! Sushi! and others including Northern Industrial Electronics based in Blackburn, and other industry partners including KPMG, the London Chamber of Commerce and Technology Means Business. Small Business Server 2000 includes full-powered editions of the Microsoft® Windows 2000® Server operating system and the Windows 2000 generation of solutions for e-mail, fax, database and secure, shared Internet connections.
“Small business owners and their technology providers have told us that they need a flexible networking solution, allowing them to operate efficiently and effectively in today’s rapidly changing marketplace, which includes an increasingly mobile workforce and customer base,” said Tim Kimber, Small Business Server product manager at Microsoft Limited. “The fully integrated Windows 2000 based tools that we offer in Small Business Server 2000 are optimized to focus on the core goals of small business owners: retaining employees, managing customer relationships and improving productivity.”
Small Business Server 2000 also addresses the stated needs of technology providers with a single, unified setup and centralised management across all of its component applications. Controls that monitor server status and alleviate user error set new standards for ease of installation, use and administration, thus ensuring consistent system up time. Additionally, Small Business Server 2000 offers technology providers a rich platform on which to integrate the custom solutions that their small-business customers need. Steve Mallinson at PAP Systems, a Microsoft Certified Solution Provider, adds: "Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 is the most complete server based business solution for networks of 2-49 PCs and is also the most cost effective to implement".
UK Small Business customers are increasing moving to server technology to support their businesses
Based on extensive input from small business customers and technology providers, UK small business can now benefit from a networking solution that is reliable, stable and secure and which can scale up to the needs and demands of a growing organisation.
YO! Sushi, founded in 1997 by Simon Woodroffe (recipient of Emerging Entrepreneur of the Year Award in 1999 and Restaurateur of the Year in 2000), implemented the first Microsoft Small Business Server operating system solution in the UK in November of that year. Four years later, The YO! brand has now grown to include 7 restaurants and 2 bars, and is set for accelerated expansion, with turnover set to double in the next year following the opening of new outlets in London, Edinburgh, and overseas. Simon Woodroffe comments: “We are committed to what I call “Can I?” – “Constant and Never ending Innovation”, and the reason we are with Microsoft is because We Get It”. He adds: “Business is like a Formula 1 Motor Race - we have a 3 second lead right now and to keep that we need up to the second information. I can tell you that having Microsoft in our pits feels good!”
Northern Industrial Electronics (NIE) is the latest small business in the UK to install Small Business Server, with support from Intel and PAP Systems, a Microsoft Certified Partner, based in Bolton. Set up as a one man business in 1979 in Blackburn, NIE has been providing specialist industrial electronic repairs and has grown into one of the biggest names in industrial electronic repairs whilst remaining a small business. NIE now serves customers worldwide, from small businesses to multi-national organisations, in areas of industry such as textiles, engineering, plastics, printing / paper, brewing, agricultural and food production among many others. “In the field of industrial electronic repairs, where prices are continually forced downwards whilst jobs become more complex, we are constantly looking for ways to become more efficient. Microsoft’s Small Business Server will enable us to do this in a cost effective way with minimal disruption,” comments Andy Flemming, Work!
s Manager at NIE.
UK Small Business research shows technology still scares small businesses
According to a recent survey by KPMG and Microsoft, UK Small Businesses that want to grow are continuing to face higher costs and lower profitability because of a failure to understand the power of the Internet, regardless of their desire to sell products over the Internet. Phil Cotton, head of e Business in KPMG’s owner managed business team, said: “Growing organisations with e Ability are a very attractive proposition to investors. Financial backers are extremely discerning when looking for evidence of the integration of e Strategy within the overall business strategy. Achieving this integration will enable small and medium sized organisations to increase the real value of their business by gaining access to various vehicles for growth, thus enabling them to develop within the lifecycle of their business – I believe this complete integration is a critical success factor towards a small organisation’s business strategy.”
What the latest version of Small Business Server delivers
Components of Small Business Server 2000 include the following:
· Multipurpose Operating System includes Windows 2000 Server, a network operating system that provides file/print, Internet Information Services 5.0 Web server, Microsoft Routing and Remote Access Service, shared application and additional communications services, along with overall improvements in server performance and reliability.
· Exchange 2000 Server (with Outlook 2000 clients), a reliable messaging and collaboration server that provides e-mail, shared calendaring, task management, shared contacts, instant messaging, Microsoft NetMeeting conferencing functionality and broad Internet standards support. Improved Outlook Web Access enables users to view their own in-box, calendars, contacts and tasks as well as Exchange Public Folders from any PC on the network or over an Internet-based virtual private network with a Web browser.
· Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000 provides users with rock-solid Internet security while enabling the management of individualized Web access policies and increasing the speed of retrieval for frequently used Internet Web pages.
· Microsoft SQL Server 2000 offers users an easier way to publish database information, such as inventory catalogs on the Internet. It also delivers improved performance, reliability and availability.
· New shared fax service allows users to send faxes from their desktops through a multiple shared fax modem or interface.
· Shared modem service enables the client machines to use modems shared on Small Business Server 2000 to connect to external information services.
· Microsoft FrontPage 2000, a leading Web authoring tool, makes it easy for new and experienced Web users to create great-looking Web content, even if they have no programming experience.
· One integrated setup installs and configures the operating system, all application components and service packs. The setup includes disk space, system compatibility and dependency checking. Remote or in-house administrators can easily deploy virtually any software application to Small Business Server-based client machines.
· Windows Terminal Services in remote administration mode give administrators complete control of servers from their offices off-site. Technology providers can use Internet connections to perform maintenance and diagnose or fix problems remotely.
Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 is available immediately from a variety of PC manufacturers, retail outlets, technology providers and consultants for an estimated retail price of £1100 for basic SBS with 5 Client Access Licenses. Key hardware partners include Intel, Dell, Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, Gateway and IBM. Small Business Server 4.5 customers qualify for a version upgrade offer to Small Business Server 2000. For the most current information regarding Small Business Server 2000 please visit www.microsoft.com/uk/sbs
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software for personal and business computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services designed to empower people through great software-any time, any place and on any device.
Microsoft and Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.
For customer product enquiries please advise readers to contact Microsoft Connection on 0345 00 2000.
For further press information, please contact:
Tel: 0870 60 10 100
020 8434 5555
Microsoft Press Centre
087 0207 7377
International US: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass
Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft home page at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of AUGUST ONE COMMUNICATIONS in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.