LSF ActiveCluster Extends Solution from Desktop Peer-To-Peer to
Grid Internet Computing
Platform Computing, the global leader in distributed computing software, has announced a suite of integrated software solutions for the life sciences industry at the 13th International Genome Sequencing and Analysis Conference (GSAC). This will enable research institutions and pharmaceutical companies organisations to create virtual supercomputers and harness enterprise-wide compute power to accelerate the speed and quality of research while decreasing costs.
This extension of Platform’s solutions from desktop/Peer-to-Peer to Grid internet computing offers life sciences companies faced with computationally intense applications, such as DNA sequencing, whole genome assembly, protein identification, tertiary structure prediction and drug design with an alterative to traditional simulations run on supercomputers or clusters of dedicated workstations. Platform’s solutions seamlessly integrate with and enhance the performance of life sciences applications such as BLAST, FASTA, Smith Waterman, Hidden Markov Model (HMM), Genewise and systems hardware. These solutions will be offered in close partnership with Compaq, IBM, SGI and LION Bioscience.
The key software components of the solution include Platform LSF ActiveCluster, Platform LSF; Platform LSF MulitCluster; Platform LSF JobFlow; Platform Analyzer; Platform Explorer and Platform SiteAssure.
“The life sciences industry requires scalable solutions that have the flexibility to adapt to its rapidly-changing business models,” said Yury Rozenman, director, Life Sciences Business Development, Platform. “These solutions will enable Life Sciences organisations to create virtual supercomputers that can increase analysis, accelerate throughput and tackle complex computations without having to sacrifice time, data integrity, security or cut jobs.”
“IDC believes that the Life Sciences market is on the verge of exclusive growth, making it an ideal breeding ground for distributed and Grid computing,” said Debra Goldfarb, group vice president, Worldwide Systems Research, IDC. “The critical component is scalable, easy to use software that harnesses enterprise compute power and manages high throughout processing demands.”
The components of Platform’s comprehensive desktop to Grid life sciences solution are:
- Platform LSF ActiveCluster -- adds P2P to Platform’s award-winning LSF suite and allows enterprises to extend processing power by taking advantage of unused desktop cycles and creating ‘desktop clusters’. Platform LSF ActiveCluster is the only available solution that extends LSF Clusters to form a single cluster of both dedicated machines and PCs. When a PC is idle or underutilized, it contacts the Platform LSF ActiveCluster server, which dispatches a suitable distributed computing job. Once the desktop completes the task, it returns results to the server and is assigned a new task. ActiveCluster also has the most advanced scheduler available for P2P, which improves user productivity by 'rightsizing' the application to either the dedicated LSF cluster or the ActiveCluster.
- Platform LSF -- addresses the high-throughput computational requirements of modern life sciences computing environments by providing on demand access to valuable computing resources. From a single cluster of Linux compute farms, Microsoft Windows desktops or worldwide grids of distributed systems, Platform LSF delivers consistent performance and scalability in distributing applications and executing workload.
- Platform LSF MultiCluster – used extensively in Grid computing, Platform LSF MultiCluster controls all computing resources and coordinates jobs across multiple geographic locations, including advanced resource reservation and host leasing. Platform LSF MultiCluster enables high throughput capacity and capability computing across a Grid.
- Platform LSF Jobflow -- provides a user-centric job manager for large-scale distributed computing for simple and complex data pipelines, with automatic logistics management. It works with LSF compute clusters, LSF MultiCluster and LSF ActiveCluster to manage millions of jobs.
- Platform Analyzer – is a sophisticated reporting solution that provides an organization with the insight required to extract maximum computing power from distributed computing resources. It enables a fine-tuning of day-to-day workload execution and allows more accurate decisions to be made.
- Platform Explorer – goes beyond reporting to allow IT decision makers, planners and senior product executives to explore and view performance data with greater depth and perspective. It measures the usage patterns of hardware, software and IT users, aggregates the data and reorganizes it for planning, analysis and costing purposes.
- Platform SiteAssure – actively manages the computing environment and dynamically reconfigures workloads based on available resources, usage patterns, resource failures or invalid content. This proactive monitoring identifies and prevents job failures and unnecessary delays in job processing, ensuring high availability and optimal performance.
Life Sciences organizations around the globe are incorporating Platform’s distributed computing solutions into the discovery process to maximize the productivity and potential of their existing technology investments. Platform seamlessly integrates with and distributes application workload, allowing scientists to exploit and analyze diverse types and sources of biological data in a shorter period of time, deliver more accurate results to reduce failure rates and enable better decision-making earlier in the discovery process.
Platform solutions currently distribute computing jobs to servers and workstations in more than half of the Fortune 500 pharmaceutical and chemical companies. Platform solutions enabled the Sanger Center, a world-leading genome research center in the UK, to crack the DNA code of Chromosome 22, paving the way for huge advances in medical diagnosis and treatment. Platform also played an integral role in enabling Celera Genomics to map the human genome more than two years ahead of schedule.
Platform is the world’s leading distributed computing software provider, with desktop to Grid solutions that allow organizations to dramatically improve time to market and quality of results, while maximizing their I.T. investment. Platform has strategic relationships with industry leaders including Compaq, HP, IBM, SGI, Sun, LION Bioscience and SAS and its open, scalable software solutions are the choice of more than 1,500 result-driven organizations around the world. Platform is a private company with 400 employees in 14 offices in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information visit www.platform.com.
For more information, please contact:
Richard Bennett or Tamsin Keynton,
Tel: +44 (0)1962 888100,
Fax: +44 (0)1962 888125,
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of MCC International Ltd in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.