A full copy of this release including all results and bar charts is available - please see contact details below.
Highlights of the 2001 results:
- 41% of TV homes in the 38 countries surveyed are equipped for cable or satellite (direct-to-home/community) reception (122 million in 2001 compared with 111 million in 2000)
- From 2000 to 2001 digital cable and satellite homes increased by 54% in western and eastern Europe (to 21.7 million homes)
- 19 million homes subscribe to a digital multichannel offer in western and eastern Europe (48% increase between 2000 and 2001)
- 98 million homes in the 38 countries surveyed receive channels broadcast via Eutelsat’s HOT BIRD™ and EUROBIRD™ satellites, representing a penetration rate of 80% (75% in 2000).
- 39% of cable/satellite homes have a PC. 23% have Internet access.
Paris, 7 November 2001
Eutelsat S.A., global satellite operator and European leader in TV and radio programme delivery, today announced the main results of its 2001 international observatory on cable/satellite homes, conducted in 38 countries in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa.
Set up in 1994, Eutelsat’s observatory is the most extensive of its kind in Europe. Changes are measured using four key broadcasting indicators: method of reception (cable or satellite*), ratio between analogue and digital reception, pay-TV penetration and, with the take-up of multimedia via satellite, use of PCs and Internet access in TV households.
The observatory also enables Eutelsat to monitor the increase in the number of households receiving programmes broadcast by its HOT BIRD™ and EUROBIRD™ satellites in the 38 countries surveyed.
Developments in each country were measured and all results compared using information gathered by 10 market research groups (including Taylor Nelson Sofres, GFK, Ipsos and Gallup) who conducted interviews with 50,000 households using a standard questionnaire. Analysis of digital growth was conducted in 28 countries in western and eastern Europe where a base of digital customers was identified.
* direct-to-home/community reception
Countries monitored by Eutelsat’s observatory:
Western Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.
Eastern Europe: Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine.
Middle East and North Africa & Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey.
For a full copy of the results available as a pdf or word document, or for further information please contact
Magdalen Bush/Kelly Grant
020 7580 0222
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Citigate Communications (London) in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.