Wireless Information Network Ltd (WIN), the UK's biggest supplier of premium rate wireless services, today announces a deal with Orange UK which will see the introduction of reverse-billed text message services with a selection of third party content providers.
WIN launched pilot services for News International on the Orange UK network during the summer. WIN is currently rolling out 'push' services for Sky's new 'News Tag' service and existing TeamTalk football services are also moving onto Orange UK. These will be followed by the addition of numerous other services for WIN's clients, including, FT.com, ITV football, Liverpool FC, Arsenal FC, BAA, Guardian Unlimited and Channel 4.
The first wave of WIN's reverse billed services to launch on the Orange network will be charged at 25p per message, with further tariffs becoming available in the near future.
Today's announcement is an illustration of the growing maturity of the wireless marketing industry and the benefits that can be derived by the networks from carrying third party content and services. With the addition of reverse billing on Orange UK nearly 80% of UK mobile users will be able to sign up for premium rate content services.
Peter Norman, commercial director, WIN commented: "This is a significant step in helping the companies promote their content to a larger audience and create value added services. Orange UK's new role in third party services is a sign of a maturing mobile data market and will mean greater consumer choice."
Jeremy Krantz, head of business development OrangeDot commented: "Orange sees great benefit in providing additional platforms to media owners like Sky, both in terms of revenue and broadening customer choice. Our relationship with WIN gives us an ideal opportunity to explore the territory. Such services have been successful in other countries, and Orange believes it is now well placed to play a leading role in the development of this growing market in the UK."
All press enquiries:
Midnight Communications (Media enquiries)
Zoe Harley / Stephen Green
Tel: 01273 666200
Wireless Information Network (All other enquiries)
Tel: 01494 750 500
NOTES TO EDITORS
WIN, a private limited company, was founded in 1996. WIN has spent the last five years innovating and supplying mobile communications and has developed a reputation for being the fastest, most reliable developer of wireless applications in the industry. WIN was named as the UK's fastest growing unquoted wireless technology company by The Sunday Times Tech Track 100 survey published in November 2001.
WIN counts many blue chip organisations as successful users of its wireless solutions platforms including: mmO2, Centrica, News International, Granada, Diageo and Dixons.
WIN's product range can be divided into three main areas:
Wireless marketing can be dynamic and creative and reach people wherever they are. WIN supports:
* Permission based wireless marketing campaigns
* Bulk messaging
* Voting applications
* Market Research
Many of the products WIN develop act as a channel to sell content into the marketplace. This could be a company's own content or third party information. Types of content include:
* Flight arrival and departure information
* Weather services
* Fun services, including jokes and horoscopes
* Share prices
* Sports information
* Ringtones, icons & celebrity voicemail
WIN is used by companies wanting to give employees and customers time critical information.
* Customers can be sent time critical information direct to their phones
* Employees can be sent the latest industry news
* Managers can keep employees updated on important internal developments
* Emails can be filtered and forwarded as text messages
WIN currently employs 50 people at its offices in High Wycombe in the UK.
Correct as at 29 October 2001
About Orange UK
* Orange, wirefree and any other Orange product or service referred to in this release are trademarks of Orange.
* Orange provides a broad range of personal communications services, including Orange GSM 1800 services and other digital cellular telephone services.
* In August 2000 Orange plc was acquired by France Telecom, leading to the creation of Europe's second largest mobile operator. The new Orange has operations in 20 countries across Europe and beyond, and aims to have a presence in 50 countries worldwide by 2005.
* As at the end of September 2001, Orange had over 12.2 million customers in the UK, 16.6 million in France and 37 million controlled customers worldwide.
* In May 2001, for the fourth consecutive year, the J.D. Power and Associates study on the UK mobile market ranked Orange number one for customer satisfaction.
* Orange provides high quality coverage to 99% of the UK population and over 80% of the geographic area. Coverage is based on hand portable, unlike some other operators which choose to base their coverage on boosted car kits.
* Orange UK now offers roaming on 257 networks in 115 countries.
* Information about Orange can be found on the Orange website at www.orange.co.uk and media information can be found at http://www.orange.com
For further information, call the Orange media centre on 020 7984 2000
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Midnight Communications in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.