With more than sixteen mobile operators and thirteen countries directly on its GRX, Cable & Wireless makes quality GPRS roaming a reality
Cable & Wireless, the global telecommunications group, today (12 February 2002) announced that it has signed BT Cellnet, the UK business of mmO2 plc, as the latest commercial customer of its mobile data roaming service, Cable & Wireless GRX (GPRS Roaming Exchange).
BT Cellnet will be able to offer its GPRS customers seamless access to the data services they are accustomed to using in the UK, when travelling abroad. Users will benefit from an 'always on' connection that is high-speed and secure.
Analysys stated in a recent report ('GPRS Roaming: Technical options and strategic implications' - December 2001) that enabling international roaming for GPRS networks in the next six months will be crucial to ensure the take up of packet-switched mobile data services. The report expects GRX to become the pervasive method of enabling GPRS roaming as it offers better security, Quality of Service and greater access to GPRS networks around the world than other options.
Through Cable & Wireless GRX, BT Cellnet will have direct access to more than fifteen GPRS operators. The service, launched in May 2001, was the first truly global GRX to be launched commercially, with the potential to carry GPRS traffic to more than 70 countries. As it uses a dedicated, global Internet Protocol-based (IP) network, Cable & Wireless can guarantee the highest levels of quality and security on a long-term basis.
"This new agreement is evidence of the credibility and quality of our GRX offering," said Andrew McGrath, president, Service Providers, Cable & Wireless. "Whereas many of our competitors only have operators trialing their GRX, customers are choosing to commit to us with a commercial agreement.
As well as maintaining the leadership position we have established in this space by adding more operators to our GRX, we are also committed to peering with other GRX providers. This will ensure that our customers have access to the maximum number of GPRS operators throughout the world, in addition to those directly connected to the Cable & Wireless GRX. By enabling them to offer a truly useable GPRS roaming service, we believe we are making an important contribution to the rollout of GPRS roaming."
Cable & Wireless GRX builds on Cable & Wireless' existing Mobile Carrier Services portfolio and leading presence in the mobile operator market. Cable & Wireless was the first carrier to establish a dedicated Mobile Carrier Services division, and the company maintains commercial relationships with over 40 mobile operators - more than any other carrier.
This agreement follows a recently announced contract to connect Sonofon, Denmark's second largest telecommunications company, to Cable & Wireless' GRX.
GPRS is a data bearer service that provides high-speed data transmission and 'always on' connectivity. GPRS data is packet switched rather than circuit switched (i.e. data travels over a network optimised for data traffic rather than voice traffic). This not only means that customers get faster service but that applications such as transmission of email enclosures, which were not viable with WAP, are now possible. 'Always on' connectivity means that, once logged on, customers avoid the repetitive process of re-connecting every time they need to send data, making the mobile office a much simpler reality. GPRS roaming allows users to access GPRS capability whilst travelling abroad.
About Cable & Wireless
Cable & Wireless is a major global telecommunications business with revenue of over £8 billion (US$11 billion) in the year to 31 March 2001 and customers in 70 countries. Cable & Wireless' focus for future growth is on IP (Internet Protocol) and data services and solutions for business customers. It is developing advanced IP networks and value-added services in the US, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region in support of this strategy. With the capability of its global IP infrastructure and its strength in key markets, Cable & Wireless holds a unique position in terms of global coverage and services to business customers.
For more information about Cable & Wireless, go to http://www.cw.com
About BT Cellnet
- BT Cellnet is the UK business of mmO2 plc.
- BT Cellnet's 10.97 million customers (end September 2001) are served by approximately 4,000 customer care specialists.
- BT Cellnet's GSM network covers over 99% of the population in the UK and approximately 86% of the UK by land area, and comprises over 6,600 base stations.
- BT Cellnet has international roaming agreements with 315 networks allowing our customers to receive and make calls in over 134 countries.
- In June 2000, BT Cellnet launched its GPRS network capability to the business sector and in 2001 introduced GPRS services to consumers in the UK. Work is underway to construct our 3G network in the UK. BT Cellnet has entered into arrangements with One2One, T-Mobile's UK network, under which BT Cellnet and One2One will co-operate on the roll-out of 3G infrastructure.
- BT Cellnet has over 300 wholly owned retail stores which consist of BT Cellnet outlets, DX Communications outlets, Mobile Phone Store outlets and BT Shops. BT Cellnet also has a 40% shareholding in The Link Stores Limited.
- BT Cellnet is the first UK mobile operator to have achieved registration to BSEN:ISO 14001, the international environmental Standard. The main theme of the Standard is continual environmental improvement and endorses BT Cellnet's commitment to the positive protection of the Environment.
For further information, please contact:
Tel: +44 1753 44 88 39
Cable & Wireless
Tel: +44 207 315 4031
Click on the link below to see this news release as it appears on the Brodeur
News Room website and obtain full contact details.
Click the link below to login and update your company and subject preferences,
or personal details.
Click on the link below to have your login details re-sent to you.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Pleon in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.