The top five wireless technologies that corporations need to deploy to achieve significant return on investment are Bluetooth, Mobile Connected Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), Mobile Messaging, Packet-Switched Mobile Networks and wireless LAN, according to a Deloitte Consulting report. The Top Five Mobile and Wireless Technologies for Business report includes a guide for capitalising on the developing maturity and interaction of these technologies, which are at different levels of development and which work independently of each other.
Executives must evaluate issues like function, bandwidth, range and maturity, but most importantly they should ask “Why are we investing in these tools and how will they ultimately benefit our bottom line,” said Paul Lee, director of mobile and wireless research at Deloitte Consulting.
According to the report, identifying specific business applications that wireless technologies can improve is critical to reaping the full rewards of these cutting edge tools:
1) Bluetooth – Bluetooth is finally becoming relevant for business. It is a low-cost, low-power, ubiquitous, wireless technology that supports voice and data communication. Whenever small data files need to be exchanged over a short distance, Bluetooth products can play a major role. Bluetooth can be used for a wide variety of business applications, from office network security to streamlined car rental return to plant maintenance, while also being forward compatible with 2.5G and 3G mobile phone technology.
2) Mobile-Connected PDA – The Mobile Connected PDA – a pocket-sized computer that combines mobile connectivity and PDA functionality - has emerged as an elegant, efficient, integrated device that will be a major conduit for mobile data applications. Its primary benefit is making mobile data applications easier to use than on a standard mobile phone interface, thereby increasing the productivity and effectiveness of mobile workers. The mobile-connected PDA is finally making good on its promises in terms of size, weight, reliability and price.
3) Mobile Messaging – The strength of Mobile Messaging lies within its simple, yet reliable technology. It can support or enhance other applications, especially when integrated with back-end systems, including field force management, vending machine maintenance, internal communications, personalised marketing and consumer banking. This ever-present technology offers quick, easy and low-cost benefits. Richer messages will be possible and business potential will grow, as both mobile messaging technology and mobile user interfaces evolve and become more prominent.
4) Packet-switched Mobile Networks - The “always-on” capability, increased capacity and greater data speeds provided by Packet-Switched Mobile Networks, such as GPRS and CDMA2000 1X, are greatly augmenting many key business applications in 2002. For instance, over a packet-switched network, email arrives immediately on the device, facilitating a quicker reaction than over a circuit-switched network. Packet-switched mobile networks make mobile data applications easier to use, allowing data to be acted on faster,
allowing more efficient use of networks.
5) Wireless LAN – With its ability to facilitate the expansion of data, systems, and technologies or the corporate network into environments that were previously impossible, the Wireless Local Area Network (“LAN”) is far more than just a simple alternative to a wired LAN. It has proven to be a key technology not only for the office, but also for the factory floor, the hospital ward, and the building site, by allowing data to flow freely into remote places and allowing flexible access to large data files.
For a copy of Top Five Mobile and Wireless Technologies for Business please contact Jean Maxwell or Emma Thorne at Citigate Technology on 0207 282 2989/1057 or email at firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com .
- ends -
Note to editors:
For further information please contact Jean Maxwell or Emma Thorne at Citigate Technology on 00 44 207 282 8000, fax 00 44 207 282 8066, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com .
- 3 –
About Deloitte Consulting
Deloitte Consulting is one of the world's leading management consulting firms, and is uniquely known for a straight-talking, common sense approach to solving business' most complex technology challenges. Deloitte Consultants work hand-in-hand with clients to improve business performance, drive shareholder value, and create competitive advantage. The firm has 14,000 professionals in 34 countries, and serves more than one-third of the companies in the Global Fortune 500. http://www.dc.com.
This document is not intended to constitute professional advice, and should not be relied on as such. Before making any decision or taking any action that may affect your business, you should consult Deloitte Consulting or another qualified professional adviser.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Citigate Dewe Rogerson (London) in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.