US Coast-to-Coast Deployment of OC-192 Running MPLS Completed
VIENNA, Virginia - July 8, 2002 - Cable & Wireless (LSE:CW; NYSE:CWP), the global telecommunications company, today announced it has upgraded the US portion of its global IP network to OC-192 running MPLS from coast-to-coast. The network upgrade, which delivers OC-192 network speeds from the west coast of the United States across the Atlantic Ocean and into Europe, further reinforces Cable & Wireless' leadership position for providing superior network performance, quality and reach, consistently around the globe. Through the combination of its global high performance network and IP services with Exodus' hosting and content delivery services, Cable & Wireless is now the premier choice for eBusiness infrastructure solutions in the US, Europe and Asia-Pacific.
The upgrade follows the OC-192 multi-city links brought on-line in the fourth quarter of 2001 connecting Washington, DC and New York with London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Frankfurt. The current upgrade adds Anaheim, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas and Santa Clara. The high speed connections support the unique network performance requirements of large scale internet content providers in particular, as well as providing sufficient scale to keep Cable & Wireless ahead of increasing demand for IP services.
"Cable & Wireless continues to define what is truly a global IP network," said Andy MacLeod, chief operating officer, Global Network Operations, Cable & Wireless. "Cable & Wireless is committed to providing customers, whether large global enterprises or content providers, with an industrial strength IP infrastructure that provides the highest quality of service and performance on a global scale."
Multi-protocol label switching (MPLS) technology allows Cable & Wireless to provide enterprises and service providers with an internet infrastructure to support all their applications, connectivity and content needs - even those time critical and mission critical services that they would typically not consider transmitting over other best effort internet backbones. Cable & Wireless' global IP network provides:
- Large-scale internet content providers with the high quality network connections required to link hosted and cached content efficiently and securely with their target market users even when the geographical span is several continents.
- Global ISPs with a quality IP backbone to deliver traffic-engineered services to their own customers. The additional capacity and predictability offered by the upgrade is crucial for maintaining this ability.
- Large multinational enterprise customers with the extra capacity, performance and predictability consistently around the globe to keep them ahead of the curve in terms of offering services to their customers and linking their own operations.
Cable & Wireless' global IP network is based on a core traffic engineering platform using intelligent MPLS routing and switching capability at 10 Gbps. This leading platform provides a scalable, reliable and more economic transport system for individual services, such as IP transit, hosting, and content delivery services.
With this network architecture, Cable & Wireless is able to:
- Offer high capacity OC-48/STM-16 IP access services to carriers, content providers, ISPs and large enterprises.
- Scale the network to handle the anticipated increase in internet traffic in and between the US and Europe.
- Optimally restore network traffic and minimise service disruptions in the event of major network disruptions.
About Cable & Wireless
Cable & Wireless is a major global telecommunications business with revenue of over #5.9 billion (US$8.6 billion) in the year to 31 March 2002 and customers in 70 countries. The company consists of two core and complementary divisions: Cable & Wireless Regional and Cable & Wireless Global. Cable & Wireless Regional offers a full range of telecommunications services in 33 countries around the world. Cable & Wireless Global's focus for future growth is on IP (Internet protocol) and data services and solutions for business customers. It has developed advanced IP networks and value-added services in the US, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region in support of this strategy. With its financial strength and the capability of its global IP infrastructure, Cable & Wireless holds a unique position in terms of global coverage and services to business customers. For more information about Cable & Wireless, go to
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Pleon in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.