BlackBerry* from O2 - email on the move
Today, O2 UK has announced that it has increased the number of roaming destinations available for BlackBerry, the wireless enterprise solution, to 14 countries - significantly extending the ability for O2 UK customers to retrieve real-time email on the move whilst travelling across Europe, Asia and USA. This figure will rise to 18 countries during October 2002.
The news follows a number of recent enhancements made to the BlackBerry service including the addition of voice capability so that customers can make and receive voice calls. This means that BlackBerry can now be a user's sole mobile device. The BlackBerry service has also been extended to allow the opening and viewing of email attachments in popular file types such as Microsoft Word, Excel and many others.
The new enhancements give BlackBerry users a true alternative to the inconvenience of a laptop while on the move. The roaming service from O2 greatly extends users' ability to work efficiently in real time remotely. Roaming services have been introduced in 11 new countries, complementing O2 UK's existing three roaming territories of Germany, Ireland and Netherlands. Emails can therefore now be picked up and sent in 14 countries including Belgium, Italy, Hong Kong, Spain and Switzerland.
The ability to access Global Address Lists (GAL) and Notes Address Book (NAB) means that the BlackBerry user is no longer constrained to contact details on the device alone. Instead, contact information, including whole contact groups, can be requested from the corporate system and added to the address book.
BlackBerry uses GPRS to keep users connected to the office, their contacts and information. BlackBerry is a robust, portable device ensuring messages are sent straight to the user in real time using Push technology, which means the user automatically receives messages, rather than having to 'retrieve' them. It also has diary, contacts, clock and task list functions as standard. Customers are able to accept or reject an appointment into their diaries just as they would if there were in the office. Customers around the UK already view BlackBerry as a simple, practical solution meeting today's mobile data needs.
Hilary Lloyd, head of data propositions, business marketing at O2, commented on the new services: "Valuable enhancements to the BlackBerry, such as roaming, confirm that O2 has consistently proved itself to be at the forefront of mobile data services. We were the first to launch BlackBerry in Europe and have continued to develop the solution to give users as expansive a service as possible. Other recent innovations such as the xda* are continuing this trend."
O2 UK - Current BlackBerry roaming agreements:
Germany - O2
Holland - O2
Ireland - O2
Spain - Telefonica
Czech Republic - TMobile
Finland - Sonera
Norway - Telenor
Hong Kong - Hutchinson
Switzerland - Sunrise
Belgium - Belgacom
Austria - Tmobile
Italy - TIM
Vatican City - TIM
San Marino - TIM
USA - AT&T (For BlackBerry roaming a 1900 MHz device is required)
Agreements due to be signed in October 2002:
France - SFR
Sweden - Telia
Portugal - Optimus
Denmark - Sonofon
(tm) - The RIM and BlackBerry family of related trademarks are exclusive properties of & trademarks of Research in Motion Ltd.
® - xda is a registered trademark of O2 Limited
Available in all O2 markets, BlackBerry has more than 10,000 users, and used by over 450 corporate customers.
Designed and developed by Research In Motion (RIM), specifically for the enterprise, BlackBerry is a totally integrated solution that includes:
* Advanced wireless handhelds with optional data and phone services
* Software that integrates seamlessly with Microsoft® Exchange and Lotus® Domino(tm)
* A powerful platform based on open standards
* End-to-end security with Triple DES encryption
O2 (UK) Ltd Background information
* The business operations of mmO2 plc are branded O2.
* O2 (UK) Ltd has nearly 11.2 million customers (end June 2002), of which 33% are contract and the remainder pre-pay. The proportion of service revenues generated by data usage has doubled in the last year, with 14.1% achieved for the three months to end June 2002. The number of SMS messages handled on by O2 UK has more than doubled year on year to 3.9 billion.
* O2 UK's GSM network, including GPRS capability, covers over 99% of the population and approximately 90% of the UK by land area, and comprises well over 8,000 base stations.
* O2 UK was the first mobile network in the world to have launched and rolled-out commercial GPRS services. Work is underway to develop its future 3G network capability, including a special agreement with T-Mobile for constructive infrastructure sharing for the roll-out of 3G coverage.
* The company has 211 O2 retail stores located across the UK, plus a 40% shareholding in The Link Stores Limited.
* International roaming agreements with 317 networks allow our customers to receive and make calls in 138 countries. Additionally, O2 customers are now able to roam with GPRS across all the O2 territories, bringing the total number of countries in which you can use GPRS roaming to 14.
* O2 UK became the first UK mobile operator to achieve registration to BSEN: ISO 14001, the international environmental standard. The main theme of the standard is continual environmental improvement and endorses our commitment to the positive protection of the environment.
For Further Information:
Georgina Firth/Madeleine Gregory/Simon Mustoe
Tel. +44 (0)1273 666 200
Photographs and logos available on request
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Midnight Communications in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.