With summer firmly over, Halloween finished and Guy Fawkes night now extinguished… what is next? ….. Naturally it is Christmas – the annual buying season. Advent calendars, novelty shaped consumable presents and unusual Christmas gift ideas will be filling our stocking fillers this year with the assistance of Ask Jeeves’ http://www.ask.co.uk new Christmas shopping zone launching this week.
Jeeves the Butler answers on average 33 million questions on a monthly basis to over 6 million unique users each month. It is interesting to learn that Christmas related questions have featured even more prominently in this year’s retail category. According to Ask Jeeves, typical Christmas questions that users ask Jeeves the Butler include:
· Where can I find the best selection of presents, gifts and decorations?
· Who is offering the best Christmas breaks and holidays?
· Where can I go Christmas shopping online?
· Where can I find information on Christmas markets
· Christmas pictures – is the most popular search word
2001 Online Christmas Market
Last year’s online retail purchasing trends illustrate that millions of consumers relied on Ask Jeeves to make their gift purchases. In October 2001 Jeeves recorded over 2.6 million Christmas queries, 4.9m in November and 4.1m in December 2001. This resulted in an overall 11.6 million total shopping related queries in the last quarter of 2001 representing around 15% of all queries asked in three months.
Year on year increase at Ask Jeeves
Annual trends are very much on the increase: Ask Jeeves answered 5.2 million shopping queries in October 2002 which represented a year on year growth rate of 100%. Based on this growth rate, we predict over 20 million Christmas related queries this yuletide, suggesting a significant 25% of all queries relating to Christmas.
Aylin Savkan, VP of Marketing, Ask Jeeves UK explains, “Christmas is an important time of year for our search engine users. Our human editors have gone out and chosen some really useful gift ideas for users to purchase both hassle free and efficiently, in the Christmas Gift zone of the website…..”
“In the development of the Jeeves Gift Zone this year ‘activity gifts’ have been particularly strong for advertisers. We seem to be moving away from giving our loved ones gifts such as bath salts and preferring to give physical pursuit gifts such as bungee jumping and rally driving.”
Top five facts about Ask Jeeves
1. Ask Jeeves http://www.ask.co.uk is one of the web’s most famous brands with brand awareness in the UK reaching 59% of all adults and 87% amongst regular Internet users
2. Over 6 million unique users visited the site in October 2002
3. More than 1 in 4 of all web users is reached by Ask Jeeves
4. 33 million questions were answered by Jeeves in October 2002, translating to over 1 million questions asked per day
5. 80 million page impressions were generated and recorded in September to October 2002
Notes to Editors
Ask Jeeves http://www.ask.co.uk is one of the UK’s leading search engine services and is hosted by Jeeves the Butler who helps people find what they are looking for on the web – both quickly and easily. Ask Jeeves efficiently responds to both questions in plain English and keyword queries and presents intelligent and relevant answers in a clear, and uncluttered manner. Jeeves also hosts shopping, travel and money channels to meet consumer demand for information and services in these popular topics.
Ask Jeeves has grown rapidly since its launch in 1998 and now has over 6 million unique users per month who ask over a million queries a day.
UK web users voted Ask Jeeves as ‘Best Search Portal’ in the Future UK Internet Awards 2000 and as ‘Best Search Engine’ in 2001. Ask Jeeves UK & Ireland is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ask Jeeves, Inc. Ask Jeeves is a registered trade mark of Ask Jeeves, Inc.
· For further downloadable information & logos from Ask Jeeves: http://www.ask.co.uk
· For further information or an interview with Ask Jeeves, please contact:
PR & Media Relations Consultant,
Ask Jeeves UK Partnership,
53 Parker Street London,
Tel: 020 721 1677,
Fax: 020 7400 2221,
Mobile: 07973 415950
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Ask Jeeves UK in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.