London, 19 May, 2003 — XcelleNet, Inc. today announced the general release of Afaria 5.0, the first management software suite to leverage Microsoft’s .NET technology. Building on XcelleNet’s award-winning technology that supports more than one million end-users, Afaria 5.0 makes it simple to deploy and manage devices & applications at the frontlines of business – where customers are served and competitive advantages are created.
“There is a great need for businesses to deliver information and applications to workers beyond the traditional walls of headquarters. These ‘Frontlines’ where customers are served provide the greatest opportunities for the greatest gains in business to occur,” explains XcelleNet CEO Joan Herbig. “Afaria 5.0 overcomes barriers that have been holding back companies from deploying applications and information more widely. It provides the tools necessary for managing platforms, applications and data in any environment, enabling enterprises to get information out to where it’s needed, when it’s needed.”
• Afaria 5.0 enables employees to make decisions at the Point of Action—no matter where they may be in wireless, wireline or disconnected environments. With true integration with real-time wireless technologies and market leading client management and reporting features, Afaria 5.0 includes new enhancements such as .Net and Web Services that provides a flexible platform for customisation and integrations of the solution with enterprise infrastructure.
• “Manage from Anywhere” – Afaria’s Web-based administrative console provides rich functionality to IT administrators who can access Afaria from a browser. Further, role-based security allows broad enterprise access to console information without risk.
• “Comprehensive Reporting” – The state-of-the-art report set that ships with Afaria 5.0 provides greater visibility to ongoing operations and capabilities for detecting and assessing exceptions. Detailed status information on software deployments as well as a full-set of pre-configured reports are provided via the Afaria console. Companies can also create custom reports to add to their Afaria server.
• “Manage by Machine” – Afaria 5.0 provides administrators with broader flexibility in targeting management tasks directly to internal groups in addition to Afaria with Microsoft NT, Active Directory, and LDAP integration. Dynamic groups can be created based on client attributes (hardware or software) and used for targeting software packages or other management tasks.
• “Expanded integration with SMS” – Integration with Microsoft’s SMS product has been expanded to support seamless software distribution to the Frontlines and tracking of handheld device assets. SMS-specified package assignments are automatically imported and handheld asset scans are consolidated in the SMS inventory database. Administrators can easily create and maintain custom information associated with each Afaria client based on company-specific policies and processes like asset tagging, cost centre allocations and asset location tracking.
• “Custom client data” - Administrators can easily create and maintain custom information associated with each Afaria client based on company-specific policies and processes like asset tagging, cost centre allocations and asset location tracking.
Early adoption of Afaria 5.0
“Afaria 5.0 makes great leaps forward in providing a more flexible solution for distributing updates and data to applications used by our workers in the field,” said Art Gilmore, programmer/technical support analyst, Flowserve. “The new web-based administrative console is saving me considerable time since I can jump on any computer at any time to take care of whatever needs to be done to make field operations and processes run smoothly.”
“Afaria 5.0 is the culmination of many ‘nice to have’ features along with the ‘need to have’ features all in one,” explains Mark J Mielke, WAN/LAN administrator, Federated Mutual Insurance. “It will give me more time for administration because I can push the programming of channels back to our developers because of the new Web Administrator. The Administrator is very easy to use; just one click gets you to the appropriate functionality. This will also let me administer the server from anywhere.
Mielke continued, “The reporting is fantastic and you can create whatever kind of report that is needed, if it’s not already included. Afaria 5.0 now has events that let you get and store customer database fields. This is the mobile management platform for us.”
“To be competitive today, real-time enterprises must gather information about events on the front lines of business as they occur and then provide an immediate and appropriate response,” said Ronni Colville, research director, Gartner, Inc. “The success of this continuous exchange requires a management solution that accommodates for the significant challenges of keeping a user’s computing device and applications primed for business no matter what the operating environment demands.”(1)
Afaria 5.0 makes business at the Point of Action a reality, with increased value for large enterprises, true integration with real-time initiatives, and market-leading client management and reporting features.
Pricing & Availability
Afaria 5.0 is available today. For more information or to order, please call XcelleNet on +44(0)20 8538 5836.
Notes to Editor:
1) The Software Distribution Tool Market is a Revolving Door, Ronni Colville, Gartner, Inc., April 15, 2003.
Afaria 5.0 is available to review. Please contact Sarah Tanner (email@example.com) to arrange a demonstration.
XcelleNet powers business at the Point of Action. More than 2,500 companies worldwide use XcelleNet’s management solution to keep information and applications current wherever business takes place – in retail stores and branch offices, at customer sites, and in the field. With XcelleNet software solutions, business can direct its front-line activities, IT can manage any platform in the field from a browser and end users enjoy unparalleled reliability of the solutions on which they depend. For more information, including case studies on successful customers like Bristol-Myers Squibb, Federated Insurance and Blockbuster Video, visit http://www.xcellenet.com
XcelleNet and Afaria are trademarks of XcelleNet, Inc. XcelleNet makes no claims of ownership to all other products and company names mentioned herein which may be the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
For further information, please contact
Sarah Tanner, XcelleNet (UK) Ltd
Mob: +44 (0)7771 913806
Tel: +44 (0)20 8538 5836
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of XcelleNet in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.