Two new in-depth studies, published by UK based Juniper Research, point to a widening gap between the number of active Wi-Fi equipped mobile/nomadic end-users, and the ballooning commercial Wi-Fi hotspot sector.
Report author, Alan Stewart, commented that “the imbalance that we see now will be damaging to the survival of some of the weaker hotspot providers, and will no doubt continue to inhibit the revenue generation capability of the sector as a whole. We do believe however that a critical mass of devices will be reached within a two year timeframe. Our forecasts for the sector, in the medium term continue to be strong.”
These two new studies draw from an extensive research programme, and provide a comprehensive set of data forecasts specifically designed to aid strategists with market planning, opportunity assessment and sector positioning.
• Juniper’s count for live commercial hotspots in-service by the end of June ’03 was 10,450, with 30,200 planned for deployment in the remainder of the year - resulting in a year-end total of 40,650.
• Wi-Fi Chipset shipments are forecast to reach 41m for 2003. Juniper Research’s 2003-08 shipment forecasts remain buoyant with a massive short term shift to the 802.11g standard, followed by a similar move to multi-mode chipsets. Chipset price reductions however will significantly impact revenue generation over the period.
• The commercial hotspot sector will generate around $1.3bn by 2006, with ‘Regular Users’ (whilst being less in number than ‘Occasional Users’) contributing the most in value terms.
World Market 2006
Heavy Users $285m
Regular Users $760m
Occasional Users $294m
• Wi-Fi End-User Devices will boom over the forecast period (‘03-’08), with over 200m nomadic/mobile devices actively in-use by 2008. Detailed forecasts in the report.
Two New Wi-Fi Studies
These two studies provide up to date, in-depth analysis of the Wi-Fi market in 2003, and make projections for each key sector through to 2008.
1. Wi-Fi Chipsets, Equipment & End-user Devices
2. Commercial Wi-Fi Hotspots.
Juniper Research is a UK based provider of business intelligence, with a focus on wireless technologies. Further details and complimentary white papers can be downloaded at: www.juniperresearch.com
Image Available on request.
Source: Juniper Research
Authors: Alan Stewart, Tony Crabtree
Contact: Michele Ince in the UK at: email@example.com
Tel +44 (0)1256 345612 or
Jack Greene in the US at:
Tel +1 978 356 7264
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Juniper Research in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.