New PortableDSL service first of its kind commercially available in Europe
Stuttgart, 29 October 2003
- At a press conference today the Mayor of Stuttgart is announcing that the citizens of Stuttgart will have commercial access to mobile broadband services based on the data-optimised UMTS TD-CDMA version of the 3G standard.
- The service is based on IPWireless technology, already being used in Auckland, New Zealand, Malaysia and Tokoyo, and is the first commercial deployment of the IPWireless mobile broadband solution in Europe, representing the most advanced broadband service anywhere in Europe.
- The service is being offered by Airdata AG, which has spectrum licenses for most major areas of Germany, and is called PortableDSL.
- The deployment enables Airdata to compete immediately with incumbent DSL providers in Germany since it provides Internet connection in two flavours: at ISDN speeds (128Kbits/s) or DSL speeds (768 Kbits/s), without the requirement of cable or telephone line installation and with the added benefit that it can be wirelessly accessed from anywhere in Stuttgart.
- The service requires the user to insert a SIM card into the modem, connect the modem to the computer and log-in with no additional hardware or software. Airdata's partner Next Generation Internet offers Portable DSL 128 at a flat rate of 9,95 euro per month, plus a connection fee of 14.95 euro per month. Portable DSL 768 costs 19.95 euro per month flat rate and monthly connection fee of 24.95 euro per month.
- The network uses the IPWireless Mobile Broadband system which is based on the TD-CDMA variation of the 3G standard which allows for both voice and data transmission but is optimised for data. It allows for connectivity across hotzones which are equivalent to the size of area covered by mobile phone coverage
- Service is being launched at a press conference in Stuttgart Wednesday 29 October
- A release translated from the German is available on request
- Chris Gilbert, CEO of IPWireless is available for telephone briefings from 13.30 onwards on Wednesday 29 October
- Contact Joanna Lane 020 7298 7053 or Lee Brooke 0207 298 7096 if you want to arrange a briefing or need more information
- ends -
Brodeur Worldwide Contacts
+44 (0)20 7298 7070
+44 (0)870 242 8323
+44 (0)20 7298 7070
+44 (0)20 7298 7116
Please refer all questions regarding this news release to Brodeur Worldwide
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Pleon in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.