Gavin Wakefield, has joined Technology Law Alliance, the specialist IT, outsourcing and e-commerce law firm. He was formerly the UK Head of Legal at Cap Gemini Ernst & Young – the global IT and management consultants.
Gavin Wakefield confirms: “Having overseen and advised on a number of large and complex IT outsourcing deals in my 5 years with Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, I felt that I had achieved my objectives with the company. The time was therefore right for me to take on a new challenge. I am looking forward to using the experience which I have gained, to deliver a specialist commercially driven service. I am delighted that Technology Law Alliance has given me the opportunity to deliver for other clients the type of service which I demanded as a client myself.”
Technology Law Alliance was launched at the beginning of 2003 by Jagvinder Kang and Stephen Ollerenshaw, both former senior technology lawyers at Wragge & Co.
Technology Law Alliance is already proving its ability to deliver high quality legal advice to rival the technology law departments of the leading UK law firms. In addition, the law firm is able to deliver this legal advice at better value than most of its competitors. Technology Law Alliance’s client base already boasts FTSE100 and AIM listed companies, as well as international clients with parent companies listed on major stock exchanges.
Gavin Wakefield joins Technology Law Alliance as the law firm breaks through a total deal value of £2 billion in its first year of operation.
Wakefield comments: “Having worked with Stephen and Jagvinder for the past four years, I have seen first hand their tremendous personal knowledge, expertise and commitment to service delivery. Joining them as they push the law firm to its ultimate goal of being the UK’s leading specialist IT law firm, is a good opportunity and a real challenge for me,” said Gavin Wakefield. He continues: “At Cap Gemini Ernst & Young the in-house team I led built up a reputation for delivering good quality advice, specifically tailored to the client, and delivered in the most practical and cost-effective way. I believe these values mirror those at Technology Law Alliance.”
Stephen Ollerenshaw comments, “One of our key advantages is that we started with a blank sheet of paper. We listened to as many clients and potential clients as possible about what they wanted from external legal advisers. Our law firm is now already delivering to those requirements. Gavin’s appointment is a natural continuation of that process, as it means we will have someone in the firm with recent experience of being in our clients’ shoes. His experience of working on some of the largest deals in the IT sector, being involved closely with the commercial aspects of major bids, and operating with the board will be a great asset to our law firm.”
Jagvinder Kang comments, “We are building a law firm that provides the ideal to clients – partner level expertise throughout a transaction without the associated cost (rather than the ‘partner fronted transactions’ of traditional law firms). We are building an ‘elite’ specialist law firm, with senior technology lawyers being used throughout client transactions to eliminate the inefficiencies, that result in duplication of effort and cost at traditional law firms.” Kang continues: “Gavin’s appointment to our law firm reinforces this strategy and our guarantee of quality of service.”
The success of Technology Law Alliance is evident from the fact that within the first year of their launch they are now regularly advising on £Multi-Million transactions, frequently involving FTSE100 companies and major corporates.
The law firm has recently been engaged on transactions involving a £Multi-Million IT procurement, a £100 million e-government project, a national Wi-Fi roll out project, a complex cryptography infrastructure project, as well as various £Multi-Million outsourcing projects including IT outsourcing, business process outsourcing, and offshore outsourcing to India.
Gavin Wakefield has led a team of in-house and external lawyers on many large and challenging international outsourcing and consultancy projects. It is this type of expertise which he brings to Technology Law Alliance, and thus his appointment will clearly strengthen Technology Law Alliance’s outsourcing service offering.
At a time when many law firms are downgrading their IT legal capability, in private if not in public, Technology Law Alliance is demonstrating that it can rival the technology law departments of the leading UK law firms. The appointment of the UK Head of Legal of one of the leading global IT companies is clear evidence of this, and a major success for the firm.
Notes For Editors
• Technology Law Alliance was established on 2 January 2003 by Jagvinder Kang and Stephen Ollerenshaw, both previously IT specialist lawyers at Wragge & Co.
• Technology Law Alliance provides a national service, with offices in London and in Birmingham. The firm acts for both suppliers and purchasers of IT, outsourcing and e-commerce products and services. Clients include FTSE100, multinationals listed on the New York Stock Exchange, as well as AIM listed businesses.
• Gavin Wakefield joined Cap Gemini Ernst & Young in 1998 as a senior lawyer and shortly after also became General Counsel for Asia Pacific. In 1999 he was promoted to Head of Legal for the UK and Ireland region. He led a senior team of in-house lawyers, managed the panel of UK law firms, and reported to the UK Board and the Group Board on major deals.
• During his time at Cap Gemini Ernst & Young he was personally involved in many large outsourcing and technology projects, with a total value in excess of £5 billion. His role included close involvement in the commercial decision making as well as the legal negotiations in these projects.
• The Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Group is one of the world's largest providers of consulting, technology and outsourcing services. The company helps businesses implement growth strategies and leverage technology. The organisation employs approximately 50,000 people worldwide and reported 2002 global revenues of more than 7 billion euros.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
TEL: 0870 730 5551
MOBILE: 0709 200 3267
TEL: 0870 730 5552
MOBILE: 0774 704 5080
MOBILE: 0709 280 5707
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Technology Law Alliance in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Personal Finance, Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.