Nursery schools and playgroups across the country are being asked to take part in a new scheme to target pre-school children with road safety messages.
Brake, the road safety charity, together with Green Flag Motoring Assistance, is encouraging early-years educators to stage a Beep Beep! Day at their nursery or playgroup and deliver road safety messages to toddlers and raise valuable funds for road safety education. Teachers and carers can stage a Beep Beep! Day any day between August 1 and September 12.
The events give early-years carers the opportunity to teach children as young as 2 years old simple road safety messages such as ‘always hold hands with an adult when close to roads’ and the importance of the word ‘stop’ when there is danger from traffic! It is never too early for children to learn such important road safety rules.
Every day 24 children, aged 0-6 years, are injured on the roads and one child in this age range dies every week. Brake and Green Flag hope that 10,000 children across the UK will take part in the Beep Beep! Day and raise awareness of the importance of child pedestrian safety to children, educators, parents and those drivers who drive too fast in residential areas and outside nursery schools and playgroups.
On their allotted Beep Beep! Day, nurseries or playgroups can choose either to take children on a sponsored short supervised toddle, using safe pavements outside their premises, or allow them to bring a ‘ride-on’ toy and learn road safety lessons in the playground.
Brake will send participating nurseries and playgroups a free guide on teaching road safety to use on the big day, safety guidelines on running the event and a sponsorship envelope and sticker for each participating child. After the event each child will receive a certificate for taking part.
To order your information pack, contact Brake on 01484 559909 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, the name of your nursery or playgroup, and day-time telephone number. Details are also available at www.greenflag.com.
Mary Williams OBE, Chief Executive of Brake says: "This is a fun way of raising funds for a great cause and raising awareness of the dangers faced by children using roads on foot. Nurseries and playgroups can play a crucial role in educating impressionable toddlers about the basic rules of road safety, rules that will continue to help keep them safe by roads throughout their childhood.”
Melanie Denny, spokesperson from Green Flag said: “We are encouraging families with very young children to take part in Beep Beep! Day and teach pre-school children simple road safety messages in a fun and engaging way. There is currently a shortage of road safety education for very young children and we support Brake in its aim to fill this education gap through Beep Beep! Day.”
Sponsorship raised by nurseries and playgroups taking part in Beep Beep! Day will go to Brake and help provide support services to families to families who have been bereaved in a road crash.
Notes to editors
· The UK has one of the worst rates of child pedestrian deaths in Western Europe.
· Road crashes are the biggest accidental killer of school-aged children.
· 171 children were killed on the road in 2003. In the same year 3,929 children were seriously injured (Department for Transport).
· In 2003, 74 child pedestrians were killed and 2,307 children were seriously injured on foot (Department for Transport).
· Over the past 20 years, the proportion of children traveling to school by car has almost doubled (Department for Transport).
· Brake is a national road safety charity which works to stop the 3,508 deaths and 33,707 serious injuries that occur on Britain’s roads every year and to ensure that appropriate care is available for people traumatised by road crashes. Brake produces educational road safety literature and runs events including Road Safety Week (8-14 November 2004).
· Green Flag Motoring Assistance provides roadside rescue and recovery to almost 5m customers. Its incident management centre handles around 1m calls each year. Green Flag is a sponsor of Road Safety Week and supports ongoing road safety campaigns.
Sarah Fatica, Brake on 01484 559909.
Melanie Denny, Green Flag Motoring Assistance: 0113 399 1387/07711 964 617
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Green Flag Group in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Health, Women's Interest & Beauty, Motoring, Transport & Logistics, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.