TURNING JUNK INTO SOMETHING REMARKABLE: REMARKABLE LAUNCHES NEW BRAND FOR SUMMER/AUTUMN 2004
Remarkable, the UK’s leading designer and manufacturer of award-winning recycled stationery, has launched a new brand targeted at design-conscious teens and young professionals that will be available in 160 Sainsbury’s stores and over 150 independent retailers from this month.
Remarkable, a London-based company which has been producing environmental stationery since 1998, spent much of 2003 researching consumer opinions about people’s stationery buying habits, and why - and if - they consider environmental issues when they purchase stationery.
The research, conducted by the Recycling by Design Research Unit at Kingston University with Dragon Brands, led onto a branding exercise with Will Harris, the marketer behind the Orange and 02 brands.
The research found:
* People do go out of their way to buy stationery – it’s not, as many people might think, an impulse or incidental purchase.
* Design is also key to influencing purchasing decisions. People want to purchase from environmentally-sound and ethical companies if the costs don’t make purchasing prohibitively expensive. People buy firstly because they like the look of the product and the innovation of the design, and environmental messages behind the products are a secondary bonus.
* Stationery also invokes passion! Time and again through the research with both Kingston University and with Will Harris’ brand design team, hard-nosed retail buyers and consumers alike all still get excited when you start talking to them about stationery. If you think about people’s more than mild irritation when someone steals their favourite pen from their desk, you know the research is onto something…
“Remarkable has always remained true to our core values of creating design-led, inspirational and innovative recycled products,” says Edward Douglas Miller, Managing Director. “With the help of Kingston University and Will Harris and the research over 2003, we have moved the brand on to a new and exciting level, always keeping the intrigue of the products at the forefront of our thinking. Remarkable is a company which we hope will keep making people smile and to pass on environmental messages at the same time.”
The Remarkable “I used to be…” collection will be available in 160 Sainsbury’s stores; retailers such as Planet Organic, Fresh & Wild, Paul Smith New York, Shared Earth, the Eden Project, Cornwall, Urbis, Manchester, Paper Tiger in Edinburgh, The Office Shop, SCP and Selfridges, London, and many more.
For further information on Remarkable, images or press loans, please contact Jo Moulds, Marketing & PR Manager on 020 8741 1234 or email email@example.com.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Remarkable Key Facts
Remarkable is committed to recycling as much UK waste as possible into consumer-driven, design-led recycled products. Remarkable is a British manufacturer and last year the company recycled over 50 tonnes of tyres, 4 million plastic cups, 100 tonnes of paper & card and 20 tonnes of computer printer materials.
The Remarkable Pencil is a previous winner of:
* Invention of the Year (1998)
* Millennium Product Accreditation (1998)
Where Tony Blair said in his opening speech: “What strikes you about all the Millennium Products is the entrepreneurial spirit behind them and the sheer determination to succeed. Often it begins as a far-off dream of one person. Edward Douglas Miller, for instance, spent many years trying to turn a recycled polystyrene vending cup into a pencil – because it had never been done before and because he saw a market in recycled products. He finally cracked it and his hard work paid off.”
* Recycled Product of the Year (1999) & Environmental Product of the Year (1999)
* Green Apple Award (2003)
Remarkable’s new retail range will available in over 160 Sainsbury’s stores, as well as eco retailers around the country such as Planet Organic, Fresh & Wild, the Eden Project, Cornwall; the Architecture Centre, Bristol; Pulp and The Green Shop in Gloucestershire and Shared Earth in York, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and Leeds. Contact Remarkable for full stockist list.
“Green Brand” Research
During 2003, Remarkable took part in a one-year project looking at green product marketing in the UK. Working with the Recycling by Design Research Unit at Kingston University and Dragon Brands, the research looked at all recycled products currently on the market in the UK. See www.recyclingbydesign.org.uk for more details.
The research with Remarkable culminated in Remarkable working on a rebranding project with Will Harris, the brand marketer behind the O2 and Orange brands. Harris became interested in working with Remarkable as a pioneering company working on design-led, consumer-focused environmental products in the UK. His brand design team’s research amongst consumers and corporate clients led to a new identity for Remarkable.
Quotes about Remarkable
• “A powerful product can turn a market, or its category, upside down… A brand that has pushed all those buttons and keeps on pushing them is Remarkable.”
Viewpoint magazine, May 2004
• “Finding eco-friendly gifts without scrimping on style is harder than you’d think – unless you know where to look… Remarkable recycled stationery is colourful and cool.” Time Out magazine
• “Help protect the environment with these recycled, eco-friendly products that happen to be gorgeous…” Marie Claire magazine, Feb 2004
• “Striking a balance between aesthetics and practicality, Remarkable is among the best of British sustainable design” Design Council
• “The collections designed by Remarkable are well-designed, creative and good for the world!” Sir Paul Smith
Turning junk into something Remarkable
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Remarkable Pencils in the following categories: Women's Interest & Beauty, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.