Heinz has experienced record sales of baked beanz – and it’s all down to the ‘Superbean’ who made his debut on UK TV screens last month as part of Heinz’s healthy eating make-over.
The Superbean’s popularity has led to sales hitting an all time high, with 1.87 million tins being sold in the four weeks since the Superbean was launched.
Sales of Heinz baked beanz are 17 per cent higher than any other month since baked beanz first went on sale in Fortnum and Mason in 1901.and means that approx 1 can is sold every 17 seconds – revealing we really are a nation of Heinz baked beanz lovers!
The new advertising campaign was Heinz’s first for beans in a decade – and saw the introduction of the lovable and nutritious ‘Superbean’, who is fast developing a cult status as the nation’s favourite modern-day comedy king – some fans have even declared their love for the Superbean.
Since the new baked beanz website (www.heinzbeanz.com) went live, thousands of fans have surfed the site and sent in their fan mail.
· Leanne Yorke enthused, “I love u super bean u are so cute and I want to marry u!!!”
· Another fan enthused, “My 1st true love was you! I’ve loved you for so long now. You are my bean friend, my soul bean, my everything.”
· Anna, a true fan said, “I feel that after all these years that I know you as a close friend. In this ever changing world, please never change.”
· “There’s something kinda cute about you, Mr. Heinz Bean - I don’t know what it is about you I like but I want you to contact me if you free some time…”
Some fans have even been trying to guess the voice behind the Superbean, with guesses ranging from Tobey Maguire, Ben Stiller to Justin Timberlake.
Heinz Baked Beanz brand manager Simon Breckon said: “The new Superbean adverts have been more successful than we ever imagined. The nutritious Superbean has gone down really well with the general public – people just seem to love him and this has been reflected in our record breaking sales figures!”
The makeover of baked beanz, which resulted in the introduction of the ‘Superbean’ adverts, is part of Heinz’s crusade to promote healthy eating and to combat the rise in obesity in the UK by radically cutting salt, fat and sugar from all its products, so offering customers more choice.
A new recipe was developed which saw a 15% reduction in the level of salt in baked beanz.
Simon Breckon continues, “Baked Beanz are Heinz’s crown jewels and people get very nostalgic about them and the ‘Heinz Meanz Beanz’ slogan, so when we were planning our new campaign we had to be really careful – but the Superbean’s been an overwhelming success.”
Notes to Editors:
· Visit the new Heinz Baked Beans web site at: www.heinzbeanz.com
· The sodium content of Heinz Baked Beans sold in the UK is now 0.34g sodium per 100g product, equivalent to 1.8g salt per serving. This figure falls within the target average sodium criteria of 0.35g per 100g proposed by the Food Standards Agency
· Please refer to the chart below for the exact nutritional breakdown of Heinz Baked Beans
· Heinz Baked Beans - Ingredients
Beans (49%), Tomatoes (27%), Water, Sugar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Modified
Cornflower, Salt, Spirit Vinegar, Spice extracts, Herb extract
Typical Values Per 100g Per Serving (207g)
(of which sugars) 12.9g
(of which saturates) 0.2g
Fibre 3.7g 7.6g (42% RDA)
Folic acid 33 68ug(34%RDA)
Magnesium 30 60mg (20%RDA)
Iron 1.35 2.8mg (20% RDA)
Phosphorus 98 205mg (26%RDA)
· To promote healthy eating and to combat the rise in obesity in the UK, Heinz has launched a crusade to change the taste of the nation by radically cutting salt, fat and sugar from all its products and offer customers more choice.
· For more information contact the Heinz Baked Beans Press Office. Please contact:
SUSANNAH LOVATT/JOANNA DALGLEISH
TEL: 020 7853 2292
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Porter Novelli Ltd in the following categories: Food & Drink, Media & Marketing, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.