Skip navigation
Skip navigation
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser.

Almost three quarters of European employees would like move ahead in their career – but only 22% would want to do so at almost any cost. For the remaining 26%, a safe job and enough leisure time are more important than career advancement. These findings come from the most recent survey by online recruitment specialist StepStone, which covered more than 1,800 job seekers across eight European countries.

Italian employees are particularly focussed on career progression, with over one third willing to advance their career at any cost. In contrast, the Dutch employees are the least aggressively ambitious: only 9% would use virtually any means to develop their career. The Dutch also rated leisure most highly, with 35% putting this ahead of career ambitions.

Respondents from Norway, Sweden and Denmark showed the highest proportion focussed on career development at around 80%, but for the vast majority this was not at any cost. The remaining 20% put leisure ahead of career, lower than in any of the non-Scandinavian countries.

The survey was conducted in August 2004 through StepStone’s online career sites and covered 1,835 job seekers in Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Italy, France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

About StepStone ASA

StepStone was founded in Norway in 1996 and pioneered the development of online recruitment in Europe. Today StepStone is Europe's leading provider of online career services and recruitment solutions. StepStone's public career sites cover 13 European countries, providing high-quality candidates to recruiters quickly and effectively through individually focused campaigns. StepStone's recruitment solutions allow customers to operate their own private career sites, covering both external and internal candidates. Thousands of companies, including Tandberg, IKEA, Coca Cola, Deutsche Bank, Toyota Motor Europe, Whirlpool Corporation, Levi Strauss, Bertelsmann, KLM, Manpower, Vedior and KPMG, use StepStone's services to help them recruit qualified staff across Europe. For more information see www.stepstone.com

This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Devonshire Marketing Consultants Limited in the following categories: Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.