ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CENTENARY 23rd FEBRUARY 2005
Connecting lives – affecting lives
Rotarians all around the world will celebrate a century of service to their communities on February 23rd 2005. The first Rotary Club was founded by Paul Harris in Chicago, USA on 23rd February 1905. Rotary expanded rapidly over the 20th Century, and played a major role in such historic events as the founding of the United Nations. As a volunteer organization with over 31,000 clubs in more than 165 countries, Rotary initiates humanitarian programs that address today's challenging issues, such as hunger, poverty, and illiteracy.
Rotary club members represent a cross-section of business and professional leaders worldwide. These 1.2 million men and women donate their expertise, time, and money to support local and international projects that help people in need and promote understanding among cultures.
Rotary's flagship programme is its effort to protect children against polio, with the goal of ending the disease throughout the world. Rotary is the leading private sector contributor and volunteer arm of the global effort to end polio.
In Great Britain and Ireland there are 60,000 members in 1830 clubs.
Key centennial events are listed below.
The President of Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland Gordon McInally is available for interview to discuss the future direction of Rotary, the challenges it faces and it’s relevance in modern society.
For more information please contact Judith Diment on 01628 672965 or 07860 162313
Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland Centenary
1. Rotary International Centenary February 23rd 2005, event in Trafalgar Square. London releasing 100 balloons
2. Rotary Centenary Concert: A musical extravaganza devised by Richard Stillgoe, featuring Rotary around the world Fairfield Halls Croydon February 4th in presence of Their Royal Highnesses Earl and Countess of Wessex
3. Rotary Centenary Concert Royal Festival Hall Royal Philharmonic February 19th in presence of HRH Prince Phillip
4. Rotary Centenary Gala Celebration Concert at Royal Albert Hall April 29
Featuring the massed bands of the Scots and Coldstream Guards and The Calendar Girls
5. Rotary’s Africa Hope July 2004 - June 2005 - supporting AIDS and genocide orphans in Rwanda and South Africa – in partnership with Hope and Homes for Children
6. Rotary Community First Responders July 2004-June2005
A partnership with Lifesavers – The Royal Lifesaving Society UK to help save lives, through raising public awareness of the issues surrounding cardiac arrest and the fact that many lives could be saved if those who suffer from a heart attack are given early treatment.
7. Polio Plus – Rotary International’s programme towards the global eradication of poliomyelitis by end of 2005
8. Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland Annual Conference, Manchester April 14-17th
9. Rotary KidsOut Day 8th June 2005
10. Rotary Stroke Awareness Day April 8th and 9th
11. Rotary International In Great Britain and Ireland Centennial Celebrations of Service at:
13 February 2005 Blackburn Cathedral
18 February 2005 Arundel Cathedral
19 February 2005 Chelmsford Cathedral
19 February 2005 Peterborough
20 February 2005 Llandaff Cathedral, Llandaff
20 February 2005 Windsor Parish Church, Windsor
22 February 2005 Wells Cathedral
23 February 2005 Chichester
23 February 2005 Southwark Cathedral
23 February 2005 Winchester Cathedral
23 February 2005 Exeter Cathedral
25 February 2005 Chichester Cathedral
26 February 2005 Canterbury Cathedral
26 February 2005 Lincoln Cathedral
27 February 2005 Carlisle Cathedral
27 February 2005 St David’s,Carmarthen
27 February 2005 Bury St Edmunds Cathedral
27 February 2005 Derby
27 February 2005 St Cuthbert’s Parish Church, Edinburgh
27 February 2005 Glasgow Cathedral
27 February 2005 Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
27 February 2005 St Mary’s, Nantwich
27 February 2005 York Minster, York
8 May 2005 Truro Cathedral
21 May 2005 Gloucester Cathedral, Gloucester
22 May 2005 Wells Cathedral
11 June 2005 Durham Cathedral, Durham
12. Rotary exhibition stand at Ideal Home & Garden Show London March 2-28th, 2005
13. Showfantabulous 100 years of music between 1905 – 2005 celebrating Rotary at the NIA Birmingham 19th March 2005
14. Rotary exhibition stand at Ideal Home & Garden Show Glasgow April 8-17th
15. Rotary centenary represented in display on Notcutts stand at Royal Horticultural Society Chelsea Flower Show in May
16. Rotary main arena show representing 100 years of Rotary at South of England Agriculutural Show at Ardingley, West Sussex June 9-11th
17. Rotary International Centenary Convention, Chicago June 18-22
18. Centennial Community projects are being organised throughout the year by most Rotary Clubs.
For more information please contact Judith Diment on 01628 672965 or 07860 162313 email firstname.lastname@example.org
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of JDPR (Judith Diment PR) in the following categories: Men's Interest, Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, Education & Human Resources, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.