Server-optimized, zero programming XDIME Player™ re-invents “Java portals”
Guildford, UK – 23rd February 2005: Volantis, the world’s leading supplier of Intelligent Content Adaptation™ solutions and services for the next generation internet, today announced the launch of Volantis XDIME Player™, the world’s first application for running data services on mobile phones that is device-independent and requires zero programming.
XDIME Player ™ can be used by content providers, mobile network operators, online businesses, mobile service providers and enterprises for a wide variety of fully branded and customised services such as mobile portals, news and information services, product catalogues, media download, e-commerce and mobile storefronts.
By using a unique architecture that “plays” mobile content which has been intelligently adapted and optimized for each device on a server, XDIME Player™ overcomes the disadvantages of traditional device-resident mobile applications. These are typically expensive and time-consuming to deploy because of the complexity of programming them, and then the requirement to customise them repeatedly to work on different consumer devices.
In addition, XDIME Player™ retains the advantages of device-resident mobile applications:
• it provides an alternative method of delivering content to subscribers in addition to mobile network operator portals
• it enables brand owners to have a direct relationship with subscribers via a functionally rich data services experience that is 100% content provider branded and permanently resident on the mobile phone
• user navigation and control can be optimized for ease of use, content can be accessed when connected or disconnected from the network, and the phone’s features such as local file management, media players and messaging can be utilized
Volantis XDIME Player™ is a client application, which processes Volantis device-independent XDIME mark-up language to deliver a 100% brandable and customisable mobile application. Content for XDIME Player™ is prepared, managed and delivered once as markup from a central server (Volantis Multi-Channel Server), and is adapted and optimized, in real-time, for the individual mobile device that is running XDIME Player™. Volantis Multi-Channel Server uses a device database that holds intelligence of over 350 attributes for over 1,300 devices to achieve device optimization. Content is delivered by user request or can be downloaded automatically over-the-air.
Mark Watson, CTO, Volantis, commented, “This is an industry first. There is a huge demand for on-device portals, but with the diversity of mobile devices out there, it is very expensive - to the point of impracticality - to program and get them working on enough devices to reach a significant subscriber population.”
“We’ve solved the problem a different way, which simply builds on our existing device-independent technology platform that is proven in large customers such as 3, AT&T Wireless, eBay.co.uk, FT.com, Telefonica Moviles and Reuters: XDIME Player™ is simply a client which runs our highly proven server applications.”
XDIME Player™ Version 1 Feature Highlights
- server-based content processing to deliver true “write once – run anywhere” with no need for programming or customization of the client application
- no J2ME computer programming skills required, content is authored in standards-based markup suitable for web developers
- 100% skinnable for full-screen branding, updateable over the air
- customizable content and user functions, updateable over the air
- content is automatically optimized for every user’s handset
- synchronized content can be used when disconnected from operator networks
- server-originated content download independent of client application, enabling OTA content updates
- faster and more responsive than traditional server-based mobile portals
- uses mobile phone media player for secure, full quality preview of ringtones, realtones, audio and video
- uses mobile phone messaging for integrated client-activated SMS which enable advanced applications such as loyalty schemes and event-based charging for content usage
XDIME Player™ Version 1 will be generally available in Q1 2005, and requires J2ME MIDP 2.0.
~ Ends ~
Volantis (www.volantis.com) is the world’s leading supplier of Intelligent Content Adaptation solutions and services for the next generation Internet. It has leading content provider, mobile network operator and enterprise brands as customers, its technology is used in solutions from some of the world’s biggest IT suppliers, and it leads key industry standards bodies.
With Volantis, intelligence about thousands of access devices, operator networks, aggregator/operator portals, content/database management systems, billing systems and location-based services, is used to adapt content in real-time for optimal user experience. Intelligent Content Adaptation reduces the cost and complexity of delivering Internet content and services to any access device, and increases user satisfaction.
Volantis is used around the world by leading brands such as 3, Accenture, AT&T Wireless, Centertel, CSC, eBay.co.uk, EMAP (FHM, Kiss, Empire, Q, Max Power & Kerrang!), FT.com, HP, IBM, lastminute.com, M1, Telefonica Moviles, Telecom Italia Mobile, Telenor Mobil and William Hill. Volantis also Chairs the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Device Independent Working Group.
For further information, please contact:
Nelson Bostock Communications
020 7792 7447
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Nelson Bostock Unlimited in the following categories: Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.