A specialist travel insurer is urging adventurous UK holidaymakers to check their insurance cover before booking an all-action holiday or excursion.
Options Travel Insurance says people are readily undertaking potentially hazardous activities on summer holidays abroad, unaware they may not be covered should they suffer an injury or accident.
Dirk Kelly, from Options Travel Insurance said: “Horse-riding, scuba-diving and white-water rafting are becoming extremely popular activities, either as part of a specialist activity holiday or as a day’s adrenaline-filled excursion. But increasingly people are getting caught out when they come to claim for injuries and cancellations because they did not check the extent of their insurance cover.”
Certain pursuits such as water-skiing, rock climbing and pot-holing are specifically excluded from some travel insurance policies.
Mr Kelly added: “The danger is that the travel agent or person selling the insurance may not have a general understanding of what is covered and what is not, with possibly disastrous consequences for the traveller, who themselves may not have checked to see if they are covered for the activity."
Providing the activity is not the sole reason for the trip, Options Travel Insurance provides cover, at standard rates, for pursuits such as scuba-diving, horse-riding, and white-water rafting to grade 3 level. Many insurers, however, charge a significantly higher premium.
Typical premiums for Options’ top Premier Plus cover are:
· 17 days cover in Europe, £14 (family £36.38)
· 17 days worldwide from £34 (family £77)
· annual multi-trip in Europe from £40 (family £77)
· annual multi-trip worldwide from £66 (family £99).
Case studies illustrating the need to be covered for activity holidays:
· Customer X sustained multiple fractures to his lower back whilst snow boarding, total cost of medical treatment paid by Options Travel Insurance, £6,000;
· Customer Y broke his back whilst surfing in Australia. Total cost of medical treatment and repatriation to UK paid by Options Travel Insurance - £30,000.
- ENDS -
Notes to editors
· Cover can be arranged by phoning 0870 876 7878, or for a 5% discount book online through www.optionsinsurance.co.uk.
· Options Travel Insurance is arranged by Options through leading travel insurance administrators Inter Group Insurance Services Limited, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, and are also members of the Association of Travel Insurance Intermediaries and the Financial Ombudsman Service. Policies are underwritten by UK Underwriting Limited.
· IGIS Ltd was established in 1992 and specialises in the third party administration of insurance product sales, claims and emergency assistance.
For further information on Options Travel Insurance please contact:
01420 566 014
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Royal Bank Of Scotland in the following categories: Leisure & Hobbies, Personal Finance, Travel, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.