3GSM 2006 Congress end user survey highlights need for converged data services
London, England – February 21, 2006 - Tatara Systems, the market leader in mobile services convergence, has announced the results of an end-user survey conducted at 3GSM 2006. The survey of over one hundred mobile professionals highlights a number of surprising results identifying key areas of differentiation and new revenue opportunities for network operators.
The results will greatly benefit forward-thinking mobile network operators searching for innovative ways to package and sell mobile data services.
Key survey results revealed:
* A small percentage (9% and 4% respectively) of cellular data subscribers surveyed relied on UMTS or HSDPA for mobile data collection, with a massive 85% relying on 2.5G technology in the form of GPRS for cellular mobile data
* Nearly 93% of respondents use other networks beyond cellular mobile data with 43% citing the need for higher performance, 30% stating coverage issues, and 20% saying cellular mobile data was too expensive as the reasons for selecting other networks for sessions.
* Basic messaging applications remain by far the most popular: SMS (89%) and email (53%) with less than a quarter of respondents (24%) currently browse the Internet on the move. Mobile multimedia services are slow on the uptake: VoIP 18%, Video 13%, TV 6%
* Mobile and laptop users that did not subscribe to a mobile data service either thought that they didn’t need it (27%), or just believed existing services were too expensive (12%)
* Overall just 57% of mobile data users are satisfied with their current cellular mobile data connections
Responses to the survey suggested that although there is undeniably a rapidly growing interest and demand for sophisticated mobile data services to complement reliable voice communications, there is an opportunity to differentiate and improve the services experience for mobile data users.
Tatara Systems believes there is an enormous market opportunity available for any mobile network operators capable of delivering seamless, efficient, powerful, stable and entertaining data applications to this growing community of early adopting end users.
Paul Crann, vice president of marketing for Tatara Systems said, “As operators continue to see increasing competitive pressures, it is vital that they differentiate by offering the best user experience possible to their customers. Increasing customer satisfaction involves fulfilling customer expectations with optimised performance and the ability to deliver a consistent user experience across networks and devices. Delivering the best service starts with allowing users to select the highest performance network and/ or the least cost routing options.”
“Once you step beyond coverage and speeds and feeds, operator success in this lucrative converged mobile services market will be a function of who can provide the best end-user experience,” said Steve Nicolle, president and CEO of Tatara Systems.
If you would like further information, a complete copy of the survey results, or an interview, please contact Tatara Systems or Prompt Communications.
About Tatara Systems
Tatara Systems invents, develops, and deploys solutions for service and content providers who want to deliver converged mobile offerings to their customers across networks and devices. Tatara's Mobile Services Convergence Platform™ makes it possible to deliver a rich and consistent set of services and content over multiple IP access networks and across secure client connections to laptops, PDAs, and smartphones providing the ultimate in real-time control and branding. Tatara’s solutions enable new revenue generating offerings such as converged mobile messaging, converged mobile VoIP, and intelligent content delivery all independent of network ownership. For more information, visit www.tatarasystems.com
Prompt Communications on behalf of Tatara Systems
+44 208 996 1654
+44 7780 68 78 13
Vice President of Marketing, Tatara Systems
+1 617 834 1445, firstname.lastname@example.org
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Prompt Communications Ltd in the following categories: Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.