FalconStor Software, the data protection solutions developer, today announced comprehensive CDP solutions to provide instant, granular recovery of databases, e-mail, files, and even the entire system (‘bare metal recovery’) in the event of hardware or software failure, or site-level disaster. A unique “visual slider” interface allows users to intelligently identify and roll back to the most relevant image, avoiding wasting time on performing recovery in a trial-and-error manner, and facilitating both administrator and user-initiated recovery.
To meet the most stringent recovery point objectives (RPO) and recovery time objectives (RTO), FalconStor CDP continuously journals and bookmarks periodically, or on-demand, the production host’s data. The solutions maximise business continuity for all enterprises, branch offices and small/medium businesses.
FalconStor CDP tightly integrates with a wide range of database, messaging, and file systems, including Microsoft® Exchange, SQL Server, and Windows; Oracle®; Sybase®; IBM® Lotus Notes/Domino and DB2 UDB®, Linux, and NetWare®. FalconStor CDP puts active applications in a stable state, so that they can be backed up with complete transactional and point-in-time integrity. This application-awareness, which enables all essential information to be recovered quickly, without lengthy consistency checks or failed recoveries, is in sharp contrast to brute-force snapshots, which often result in partial transactions and file-system corruption.
FalconStor CDP works in concert with the company’s VirtualTape Library (VTL) to provide the following business benefits to a customer’s backup/recovery infrastructure in a non-intrusive manner:
• Minimises data loss by continuously intercepting and recording changes via FC switch, host or SAN
• Eliminates the constraint of the backup window; data captured by FalconStor CDP can be fed to the media server directly over the high-speed SAN on demand
• Eliminates performance impact and resource contention on the application host; FalconStor CDP can channel the backup data to the media server on behalf of the application host with 100 percent transactional integrity
• Accelerates backup speed and reliability; CDP enables the media server to realise the full potential of VTL with unprecedented performance and reliability
• Optimises business continuity and disaster recovery. Besides facilitating rapid recovery of individual files, e-mails, databases, and the host, CDP can replicate the protected data to a remote disaster recovery (DR) centre in a continuous manner.
FalconStor CDP also offers benefits that reach beyond immediate recovery of production data in the data centre or branch office; it provides disaster protection by continuously replicating data, via TCP/IP or FC, to the user’s DR site.
FalconStor CDP and VTL allow the customer to protect and recover business-critical data with unprecedented flexibility by:
• Allowing the administrator to retain and recover critical (hot) data with the finest level of granularity: at the boundary of individual “write” commands
• Allowing the administrator to rollback the system state beyond the time-critical period at a less granular level (day/hour/minute/second) with 100 per cent transactional integrity
• Enabling third-party tape backup software to perform ultra-fast server-less tape backup, on a daily basis, for compliance or archiving purpose
• Using either CDP or VTL (based on whether the customer’s disaster recovery procedure is disk-centric or tape-centric) to replicate mission-critical data to the DR centre.
“We have found the challenges of rapid recovery are too demanding to leave to just tape-based backup and recovery,” said Arun Taneja, founder and president of The Taneja Group. “Recovery management requires an approach similar to that of information lifecycle management and must exist as a comprehensive approach to data protection and recovery throughout the data lifecycle. FalconStor has helped make recovery management a reality by bringing an end-to-end, adaptive CDP offering to market across a wide range of business types and sizes, and integrating CDP with their offsite replication and advanced virtual tape solutions.”
FalconStor’s CDP solutions offer the following unique competitive advantages:
• Time-based retention policy coupled with on-demand/event-driven bookmarks to facilitate rapid recovery
• Application-awareness to allow the user to restore the data with 100 percent transactional integrity
• Reverse journaling mechanism that provides immediate access to a recent system image
• Flexible configuration (host, switch or appliance-based) that facilitates rapid deployment
• Seamless integration with third-party backup software and VTL to realise maximal ROI
“The ability to meet RTO and RPO are vital to the health and competitiveness of any business,” said John Lallier, vice president of technology, FalconStor. “FalconStor will continue to team with our strategic industry partners to offer innovative, fully integrated data protection services to maximise the availability of our customers’ IT operations.”
FalconStor Software, Inc. (Nasdaq: FALC) is the premier developer of adaptive data protection solutions that optimize data center efficiency and business continuity for all IT infrastructures. The company’s award-winning storage virtualization, continuous data protection (CDP), disaster recovery, and virtual tape library (VTL) solutions integrate seamlessly to ensure rapid data recovery and simplified storage management. Its products are available from major OEMs, system integrators, and resellers, and are deployed worldwide by governments, educational institutions, and Fortune 1000 enterprises across industries including aerospace, energy production, financial services, healthcare, law, manufacturing, and telecommunications. FalconStor is headquartered in Melville, NY, with offices throughout Europe and the Asia Pacific regions including Paris, Tokyo and Taiwan. FalconStor is an active member of the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) and Fibre Channel Industry Association (FCIA). For more information, visit www.falconstor.com.
# # #
FalconStor is a registered trademark of FalconStor Software, Inc. All other company and product names contained herein may be trademarks of the respective holders.
Tim Donnelly Smith
Both Barrels Communications
+44 7801 755495
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Both Barrels Communications in the following categories: Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.