WITH CLINICALLY TRIALLED HERBAL COMBINATION
Depression is on the rise with one in five women and one in 10 men officially suffering from the condition (UK Department of Health, 2005) to the extent they need treatment. Many more don’t go to their doctors and suffer in relative silence: often reaching for ‘self help’ measures. St John’s Wort has long been accepted as an effective, natural way to alleviate depression. But it can take up to six weeks to take effect. Now, a supplement that combines St John’s Wort with Passion Flower has proven in clinical trials to alleviate anxiety and depression. This in itself is great news. Even better is the fact that this synergistic supplement works within two to four weeks.
St John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum) has been recognised for some time to relieve the symptoms of depression and SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) by increasing the brain’s take up of serotonin and dopamine which are lacking in a depressed person. There are several studies that have shown that extract of St John’s Wort increases the uptake of serotonin, noradrenalin and dopamine in the cells of the brain. It is effective in treating mild to moderate depression and SAD symptoms.
Passion Flower is a herbal remedy from the native American Passiflora incarnata L. plant. It works on physical and mental symptoms of stress, relaxes muscles and anxiety and is a safe natural tranquilliser that is non-addictive.
The study shows that this St John’s Wort with Passion Flower supplement is a viable alternative to drugs for people with mild to moderate depression. Many people who suffer from depression to this degree are prescribed drugs that are increasingly coming under scrutiny as to their effectiveness and suitability for individuals prone to suicidal feelings.
St John’s Wort with Passionflower offers a non-addictive solution proven to work quickly, effectively and naturally. And, as the Passionflower addresses the anxiety that often leads to depression, it works more broadly than drugs that seek only to address depression.
The developments are exciting and as we head out of summer into Autumn, Winter and the ‘SAD Season’ St John’s Wort with Passion Flower is well worth considering.
How Do I Take St Johns Wort with Passion Flower?
Take one tablet twice a day with a glass of water, cutting down to a maintenance dose of one a day when symptoms improve. People with a sensitive stomach are advised to take the tablet(s) with meals.
Where Can I Buy It?
St John’s Wort with Passion Flower costs around £10 for 30 tablets from leading independent health shops and chemists. Available at good health food shops or call 0870 366 5729 for your nearest stockist.
For further information, samples or images please contact:
Katherine Selby, PR Workshop, 0208 657 4422 Katherine@prworkshop.co.uk
Note To Editors - Research summary:
Full details of the trial’s abstract are available but in summary it shows:
• 162 patients undertook the trial
• The trial was double-blind, placebo controlled and randomised
• People on the trial were classified as either mildly depressed (14-17 on the Hamilton Scale of Depression – HAMD) or moderately depressed (18-24 on the HAMD)
• The Hamilton scale runs from 0-30: In light depression HAMD-17 total scores sum 8-13. A score between 14-18 is mild depression; between 18-24 is moderate severe and 25 or more is severe depression
• The patients took either the St John’s Wort and Passionflower combination or a placebo for eight weeks during which time their HAMD and HAMA (Hamilton Scale for Anxiety) were measured
• Those on the supplement showed significant improvement
• Those mildly depressed went from around 15 on the scale to 8
• At the same time the placebo group worsened from around 15 to 17
• Those moderately depressed went from around 20 to 8 (within the time scale)
• At the same time the placebo group worsened from around 20 to 21
• After 56 days the placebo groups were crossed over, so the placebo group took the supplement.
• When the placebo group switched to taking the supplement they saw a drop of 39.6% and 31.6% in their HAMD and HAMA ratings respectively
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of PR Workshop in the following categories: Men's Interest, Health, Women's Interest & Beauty, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.