Footballers, music moguls and city boys are dusting off their wallets as the first UK version of the world’s most iconic boy’s toy – HUMMER – goes on sale today.
Originally designed for the U.S Army nearly 30 years ago the High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV, pronounced Humvee), also known as HUMMER, is the ultimate go anywhere vehicle. And now it has finally travelled across the pond from the States to the UK with the launch of a right-hand drive version of the HUMMER H3. Smaller and more agile than the larger H1 and H2 models, the H3 is the perfect HUMMER for the UK, on and off the road.
To mark its arrival on British soil, HUMMER delivered the first right-hand drive vehicle off the shelf to a London toyshop in its own heavy duty toy box, which took three weeks to make and stands four metres high and six metres wide.
Jonathan Nash from HUMMER comments:
“HUMMER is like no other – it’s the ultimate workhorse, but also the ultimate boy’s toy so what better way to deliver it to the UK but in its own heavy duty toy box. The H3 is a car built for action and has a unique, iconic style that will travel across the Atlantic and appeal to UK drivers. With lots of pre-orders already placed we expect the H3 to be a huge success in the UK.”
Celebrity HUMMER fans and owners include:
• Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California and 1st civilian HUMMER owner
• Wayne Rooney, Footballer
• David Beckham, Footballer & Model
• Shaquille O’Neal, Basketballer & Model
• Wyclef Jean, Musician
• Ronaldinho, Footballer
• Hugh Heffner, Playboy founder
• Paris Hilton, Socialite
• Dennis Rodman, Basketballer & Model
KEY HUMMER MOMENTS:
• 1979 - AM General began preliminary design work on the M998 Series High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV - pronounced Humvee)
• 1983 - AM General won an initial $1.2 billion contract to produce 55,000 Humvees for the US Army
• 1985 - AM General rolled the first Humvee (aka. HUMMER), a standard Military vehicle, off the assembly line
• 1989 - The U.S. Army awarded AM General a new multiyear contract for continued production of more then 33,000 Humvees
• 1992 - AM General began production of versions of the Humvee, called the HUMMER, for civilian use
• 2002 - AM General began assembling the HUMMER H2, a new ‘next generation’ sport utility vehicle designed by GM
• 2005 - General Motors rolled out the 2006 HUMMER H3 midsized SUV
• 2007 - UK launch of the first right-hand drive HUMMER H3
The HUMMER H3 is available to order now from £26,495 on (or off) the road. For more information visit www.hummer.com
- ends -
For more information and images of the HUMMER Box please contact the HUMMER press office at Mischief PR on 020 7100 9999 of email@example.com
Notes To Editors:
With permanent full-time four-wheel-drive, a two-ratio transfer gearbox, traction control and HUMMER’s patented StabiliTrack Stability Enhancement System on all models, the H3 is a sure-footed choice for those seeking a vehicle that is just as much about action as it is about expressing the HUMMER brand’s iconic style. Indeed, the H3 is one of the most capable off-road vehicles on the market today.
At launch, three trim levels are available – the SE, Adventure and Luxury. All come with a comprehensive standard equipment list including air conditioning, electric windows, remote central locking, a six-speaker stereo system, cruise control and an electrochromatic rear-view mirror with eight-point compass and temperature display.
Adventure models add heated power-adjustable seats, a leather appointed interior, an off-road suspension package, full-locking central rear differential, a chrome appearance package and a seven-speaker stereo system, making it perfect for those who want to take their HUMMER a little further off the beaten track.
For those who want a more cosseting HUMMER, the Luxury model comes with leather appointed interior, eight-way power adjustable heated seats, 16x7.5in chrome wheels, chrome side steps, hood louvre and roof bars and a seven-speaker sound system. A comprehensive range of options is available for all models.
Initially, all H3s will be offered with HUMMER’s unique five-cylinder inline 3.7-litre VORTEC petrol engine. The 244bhp unit was designed specifically for the H3 and offers an impressive 328Nm of torque, giving the car excellent flexibility in even the most challenging of conditions. Two transmissions are on offer – a five speed manual or a four-speed GM Hydra-Matic auto. Biofuel and Diesel H3s will follow within three years.
Prices start from £26,495
Consumptions (mpg) manual 20.4 / automatic 19.5 (combined)
CO2 emissions (g/km) manual 327 / automatic 346
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Mischief PR in the following categories: Men's Interest, Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, Sport, Motoring, Travel, Transport & Logistics, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.