With many forecasters predicting severe weather conditions, with possible snow, ice and strong gales to hit Britain in the next few days, leading insurer MORE TH>N is offering home and car owners advice to survive the cold.
IN THE CAR:
Cold weather can play havoc with cars. Flat batteries are the main cause (32%), followed by cars turning over but won’t start up (15%). In fact motorists are 50% more likely to breakdown in January, February and March when temperatures are often colder, than any other month of the year.
MORE TH>N’s advice to motorists during freezing weather conditions:
• Check anti-freeze levels and carry de-icer in case the locks freeze
• For cars that are not being used that often ensure you regularly turn the engine over and keep the engine running to keep the battery energised
• If warming your car up don’t leave it unattended with the keys in the ignition. Many cars are stolen this way by opportunist thieves each year.
• During cold weather its especially important to check tyre, battery and wiper blade condition. Make sure the lights are fully functioning and double check oil and fuel levels before setting off
• Keep a warm coat or blanket in the car in case of a breakdown to keep warm by the roadside as well as some emergency supplies such as some chocolate or a hot drink
• Take your breakdown telephone helpline number and mobile phone with you on all journeys
• It’s also useful to keep a torch, ice scraper - and in extreme weather conditions wellington boots and a shovel in your car
Mike Holliday-Williams, Managing Director for MORE TH>N said: “Often the combination of cold weather and leaving a car unused for a couple of days can be enough to cause problems. Drivers should be aware of the weather conditions when planning a journey, reduce speeds and drive with extra caution. In especially poor conditions, don’t drive unless absolutely necessary.”
MORE TH>N Car Insurance customers can get rescue cover from as little as £31 – which will cover them in the UK. Call 0800 316 4460 or log on to www.morethan.com/rescue to find out more information about MORE TH>N Rescue. For more winter driving tips visit living.morethan.com.
• Leave your central heating running, not on a timer, but at a constant temperature (the coldest time is between 1am and 3am). If possible, leave it running in all rooms.
• If you know you’re going to be away, either leave the heating on, or drain off your water and heating systems. If you have a property that is unoccupied, drain the system. To do this, turn off the stopcock, shut down the boiler and open all taps. If you’re unsure about the central heating, speak to a plumber. Remember to leave your insurance details with a friend or neighbour.
• Check the lagging on your pipes and water tank – pay a visit to the loft if needs be. If you have enough constant heating in the house, it will prevent the water tank from freezing. The most likely effect of the sub-zero temperatures in the home will be frozen pipes and water tanks.
• Bring pets indoors and if you have fish, leave something floating in the middle of your pond – ie a ball. When you want to get air to them, lift up the ball.
• Keep a supply of batteries, torches and provisions.
• If your home loses power – keep the freezer door shut.
All MORE TH>N customers have access to a freephone 24 hour help-line as part of their standard home insurance policy. In the event of a household emergency customers can ring the help-line 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Mike Holliday-Williams, Managing Director for MORE TH>N, comments: "We are prepared for the expected cold front with many of our staff ready to help out in the affected areas and customers can rest assured that should the worst happen, we are here to help them around the clock."
For further information on MORE TH>N Home Insurance, log onto www.morethan.com/home or call 0800 300 660, between 7am and 11pm Monday to Saturday and from 9am to 5pm on Sunday.
Media Relations, MORE TH>N
Tel 020 7337 5146
About MORE TH>N
MORE TH>N is the direct financial services arm of Royal & SunAlliance. It offers motor, home, pet, travel and life insurance via the internet and by phone. It also offers van, shop, office, business car, hotels, property, club and contractor insurance direct to small businesses.
In December 2006 MORE TH>N, together with its parent company Royal & SunAlliance, became the first insurer in the UK to be carbon neutral. The company has cut its carbon footprint by half since 2000 and has offset the remainder by purchasing voluntary carbon reductions through the CarbonNeutral Company.
MORE TH>N is a registered trademark of the Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Group plc and a trading style of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No.93792). Registered in England & Wales at St.Mark’s Court, Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1XL. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of ICrossing Ltd in the following categories: Home & Garden, Motoring, Personal Finance, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.