18th March 2008
Easter frost sends shivers down motorists’ spines
With The Met Office predicting a freezing Easter weekend, Swinton warns against leaving your car running to warm it up as it could get you a frosty reception from insurers.
Motorists who leave their car running to clear frost from windscreens are giving thieves an open invitation and worse still, invalidating insurance policies says the UK’s leading high street insurance retailer, Swinton.
The aptly named ‘frosting’ occurs when drivers defrost their car by leaving their car unattended with the keys in the ignition and an opportunistic thief drives the car away while you are still in the house.
A victim of ‘frosting’ could be left out in the cold this Bank Holiday when it comes to making a claim because insurers deem it as not leaving your vehicle in a secure condition and therefore invalidating the policy.
Swinton predicts the number of frosting attacks will rise as the temperature falls. Home Office statistics show that for cars registered after 1997, keys were used in 85% of incidents where the method of theft was known and 18% of this number was through the owner leaving the keys in the car*.
Chris Collings, Swinton’s Insurer Development Director said: “As built in car security become increasingly sophisticated, thieves are turning to using their owners’ keys to steal cars. On frosty mornings it’s incredible how many drivers leave their car running and nip back inside to finish getting ready – an open invitation for thieves. People need to use a touch of common sense when there’s a touch of frost.”
On frosty, winter mornings Swinton recommends that drivers cover their windscreen with a shield or newspaper to keep the frost off, use a scraper or pour hot (not boiling) water over the windscreen.
- ENDS -
For information about Swinton visit www.swinton.co.uk
* According to an analysis by the Home Office of 8,303 incidents of thefts and attempted thefts of cars in Northumbria and Greater Manchester areas
For further information please contact Adele Mandy, Pete Wrathmell or Amy O’Toole at SKV PR on Tel: 0161 838 7770 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· With 455 branches nationwide Swinton is the largest high street insurance broker
· Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
· Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
· With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates
· Swinton offers a ‘clicks and bricks’ approach to insurance - online prices with a high street presence.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of SKV Communications Ltd in the following categories: Motoring, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.