ARCHOS BRINGS GPS SATELLITE NAVIGATION TO THE AWARD-WINNING 605 WIFI MEDIA PLAYER
ARCHOS 605 GPS Blends Entertainment and GPS into One Portable Device for a Rich Mobile Entertainment Experience Anywhere
London – April 23, 2008 – ARCHOS announces today a new GPS In-Car Holder for its award-winning ARCHOS 605 WiFi portable media player (PMP) that turns the device into a full-fledged navigation system. With more than 50 times the hard drive size, twice the screen resolution, and similar pricing as stand-alone GPS navigation products, the ARCHOS 605 GPS is the ultimate navigation and entertainment device. The ARCHOS 605 GPS accessory brings entertainment and navigation together in one device for consumers, turning the portable player into the ultimate road trip companion.
All ARCHOS 605 WiFi models sport large 4.3” LCD touch-screens with clear resolution that is unmatched by any GPS device on the market. The ARCHOS 605 WiFi snaps easily into the GPS In-Car Holder, which is connected to the car windshield and stereo system (via the built-in line out), creating a full voice and video navigation system. Unlike GPS-only devices, consumers can easily navigate their way on the clearest, sharpest screen, and then watch favourite videos or recorded TV shows, listen to music and view photo slideshows once they arrive. Additionally, when in a wireless hot spot, the ARCHOS 605 GPS allows for surfing1 the Internet and streaming video, TV shows and music directly to the device in real-time, creating a rich on-the-go experience.
“ARCHOS is known for combining consumers’ favourite activities into one advanced portable device, and the new ARCHOS 605 GPS is the latest example of this convergence,” said Henri Crohas, ARCHOS founder and CEO. “No longer do consumers need a stand-alone GPS device, portable media player, photo viewer or even USB storage device. With our latest innovation, ARCHOS helps you get where you’re going and entertains you once you get there.”
Full-Featured GPS Mapping Meets Award-Winning Portable Media Player
The ARCHOS GPS accessory provides complete navigation support with Tele Atlas maps, available for the European version covering 22 countries, the North America version covering the U.S. and Canada, and a Chinese version. All ARCHOS 605 WiFi models—4 GB*, 30 GB*, 80 GB* and 160 GB*—work with the GPS In-Car Holder and give consumers the following features:
• Clear, easy-to-read maps on the high-resolution 4.3” touch screen.
• Easy and intuitive address, post-code and POI (point of interest) markers for rapidly selecting destination points.
• Precise navigation with automated simulation inside tunnels, lane assistance, advance signposts and fast and accurate route recalculation.
• Traffic assistance, route planning, and speed control assistance in some countries.
• Gain navigation information on any location throughout North America, Western Europe and China.
• Get clear voice-to-text support through the car’s FM stereo or the ARCHOS 605 WiFi’s amplified built-in speaker.
Your Media on the Move
• Passengers can use the ARCHOS 605 WiFi to watch recorded TV shows and videos while traveling, and keep families and children entertained in the back seat of the car.
• Record TV shows in advance for the perfectly relaxed road trip.
• Rent and watch movies from the ARCHOS Content Portal.
• Transfer and store photos directly from your digital camera and create slide shows.
• Share your media with friends and family on their TV.
• Play games while on the go.
• Surf the Web1 to visit favorite sites.
• Stream the latest news, online videos, TV shows and sports from Web sites —ARCHOS devices are the only to support Adobe® Flash® 9 for online video streaming.
• Check email from any Web-based service.
• Access hundreds of Widgets, including world maps, weather, and currency converters.
Pricing and Specifications
The ARCHOS GPS In-Car Holder can be sold separately for £99.99 to work with any ARCHOS 605 WiFi model, or bundled together with the 30GB* player for £299.99. The GPS In-Car Holder and bundled ARCHOS 605 GPS will be available in May 2008 from www.archos.com and selected retailers.
ARCHOS announced separately today a host of new software and services that enhance the entertainment value of their Generation 5 line. ARCHOS wireless PMPs are the only devices to support the new Adobe Flash® Player® 9, letting consumers enjoy nearly every online video and Flash game available on the Web. The new TVportation feature brings live television streamed from the ARCHOS TV+ to any wireless-enabled device, including ARCHOS players, Symbian and Windows Mobile smartphones, laptops and computers anywhere in the world.
All ARCHOS players support open standard video, audio and photo formats — MPEG-4, WMV, H.264*, MPEG-2*, stereo MP3, WMA, protected WMA, WAV AAC, AC3*, JPEG, BMP, PNG, and RAW with embedded JPEG thumbnail.
ARCHOS introduced the hard-drive-based MP3 player with the Jukebox 6000 in 2000, and since that time has revolutionized consumer electronics devices. The company introduced the portable video player in 2003 and was the first to bring TV recording, wireless and touch screens to the portable media player. ARCHOS’ award-winning products let consumers enjoy movies, photos, video, music and television anytime, anywhere. Established in 1988, ARCHOS has offices in the United States, Europe and Asia, and is quoted on Compartment B of Euronext Paris, ISIN Code FR0000182479. More information is available online at www.archos.com.
Julie Thompson Dredge
Tel: 0207 581 9255
(*) 1 GB = 1 billion bytes, formatted capacity is less
1/ With the downloadable optional Web browser plug-in (Opera® browser/Adobe Flash®) on the web site or directly on the ARCHOS Content Portal on the device
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Trilogy Communications (London) in the following categories: Consumer Technology, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.