ARCHOS TURNS WIRELESS DEVICES INTO PORTABLE TELEVISIONS WITH NEW ARCHOS TVPORTATION FEATURE
The ARCHOS TV+ WiFi Digital Video Recorder Now Includes TVportation Feature for Streaming Live TV from Home to Portable Devices, Including ARCHOS 605 WiFi and ARCHOS 705 WiFi Players, Symbian and Windows Mobile Smartphones, and Laptops
LONDON – April 23, 2008 – ARCHOS announces today a new feature that lets consumers watch their home live TV wherever they go using the ARCHOS TV+ as a streaming media server. Available as a plug-in for £29.99 or free if the ARCHOS TV+ is registered to the ARCHOS Web site, the TVportation feature turns connected (WiFi, Ethernet or 3G/G+) portable devices into mobile TVs. With ARCHOS TVportation, consumers can now take their favourite shows from the living room to devices such as ARCHOS 605 and 705 WiFi Portable Media Players (PMPs), Windows Mobile and Symbian smartphones, and laptops, giving them the freedom to watch TV anywhere.
The ARCHOS TV+ connects to the TV or cable box and is the first WiFi/Ethernet DVR to not only record TV shows, but also surf the Web, stream video and music files from the Internet and computer, and download movies from the Internet — all for playback on the widescreen TV at home. The TVportation feature turns the ARCHOS TV+ into a home TV streaming server and adds one of the most compelling features for TV enjoyment yet, transforming your ARCHOS media player or other handheld device into portable TV.
“With the ARCHOS TV+, consumers can stream live TV from the home to wireless devices anywhere in the world, whether in the palm of your hand, on your laptop in another room, or on the PMP or smartphone you carry with you every day,” said Henri Crohas, ARCHOS founder and CEO. “The ARCHOS TV+ is the first home entertainment device that combines a home TV streaming server with a DVR, giving TV, movie and music fans everything they need to stay entertained and connected both inside and away from the home.”
ARCHOS TV+ Stands Alone in Moving Media around and Beyond the Home
With the ARCHOS TV+ and TVportation feature, consumers can do the following:
• Transport your TV by watching favorite shows, sporting events, news and movies on any wireless device inside or outside the home.
• Record TV on a 250 GB* hard drive, with capacity to store up to 310 movies1 to watch where and when you want.
• Surf the Web on your widescreen TV using the remote control.
• Download Movies directly from the ARCHOS Content Portal for playback on handheld ARCHOS players or the TV at home.
• Stream Music, Videos and Photos from the Computer for playback on TV. Run family photo slideshows to music, listen to your digital music library, and watch digital movies stored on your PC.
• Transfer Content, such as recorded shows, digital music and movies, photos and more to your ARCHOS portable player.
• Store and Watch videos and view photos
Accessing TVportation on the Mobile Device
Consumers can begin watching home live TV on their ARCHOS 605 or 705 WiFi PMPs, laptop, smartphone (Symbian or Windows Mobile) in a few quick and easy steps:
1. Download and install the TVportation plug-in to the ARCHOS TV+, available for free after registration, from www.archos.com;
2. Install the “TVportation” software player onto your mobile device;
3. Activate the TVportation function on your ARCHOS TV+ and set name and password;
4. Open the TVportation player installed on your mobile device, enter the name and password, and begin watching any channels from your home TV, satellite receiver, DVB-T adapter or cable box.
The TVportation plug-in is a free download for customers who purchase and register a TV+ or available for £29.99 for the ARCHOS 605/705 WiFI and DVR Station. Consumers already using ARCHOS TV+ will find the link in their existing account.
ARCHOS announced separately today a host of new software and services that enhance the concept of entertainment anywhere through the award-winning Generation 5 line. The new ARCHOS GPS In-Car Holder for the ARCHOS 605 WiFi brings entertainment and navigation together in one device for consumers for the ultimate road trip companion. Additionally, ARCHOS wireless PMPs are the only devices to support the new Adobe® Flash® Player 9, letting consumers enjoy nearly every online video and Flash® game available on the Web.
All ARCHOS players support open standard video, audio and photo formats — MPEG-4, WMV, H.264*, MPEG-2*, stereo MP3, WMA, protected WMA, WAV AAC, AC3*, JPEG, BMP, PNG, and RAW with embedded JPEG thumbnail.
ARCHOS introduced the first hard-drive and MP3 player with the Jukebox 6000 in 2000, and since that time has revolutionized consumer electronics devices. The company introduced the portable video player in 2003 and was the first to bring TV recording, wireless and touch screens to the portable media player. ARCHOS’ award-winning products let consumers enjoy movies, photos, video, music and television anytime, anywhere. Established in 1988, ARCHOS has offices in the United States, Europe and Asia, and is quoted on Compartment B of Euronext Paris, ISIN Code FR0000182479.
More information is available online at www.archos.com.
# # #
Julie Thompson Dredge
Tel: 0207 581 9255
# # #
*1GB= 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity is less.
1/ On average; based on 3.5 mins/song & 64 kbits/s WMA, on 1000 kbits/s MPEG-4 audio/video encoding and 1h30/movie (for near DVD Quality), on JPEG, VGA.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Trilogy Communications (London) in the following categories: Consumer Technology, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.