Five reasons to go nutty for Fairtrade Tuesday 6 May 2008 PDF Print Five reasons to go nutty for Fairtrade with Liberation’s tasty range of oven-baked peanuts and cashews World Fair Trade Day – May 10th 2008 Shoppers are being given five reasons to go nutty this Saturday (May 10) and celebrate World Fair Trade Day by buying the delicious range of cashew and peanut snacks from Liberation, the world’s first 100% Fairtrade nut company. The five reasons are: * Liberation nuts are baked using just a drizzle of oil which makes them a healthier choice than nuts which have been roasted in oil. * Because they are high in protein, just a handful of nuts will fill you up and stop you reaching for the biscuit tin. * Peanuts are full of vitamin B6 which is well known as a stress-buster and the magnesium in cashews can help deal with mood swings, anxiety and irritability. Cashews also contain oleic acid which is known as a heart healthy fat. * More than 22,000 farmers from co-operatives in Africa, Asia and Latin America who supply Liberation co-own the company and benefit from its success. * Thanks to sales, the loved ones of hospital patients in Mchinji, Malawi, who have travelled miles to get family members and friends medical care, have somewhere to sleep and cook next to the hospital. A special shelter has been built using Fairtrade premium money to provide them with much-needed protection from the elements. People who buy from the delicious Liberation range of mixed cashews and peanuts can choose from four flavours - lemon and a hint of chilli, a hint of smoked flavour, lightly salted and natural (no added salt). Marginalised nut farmers and gatherers own 42% of the company and have a real say in how the business is run. The remaining 58% of the company is owned by ethical investors. Well-known charities Comic Relief and The Hunter Foundation are among Liberation’s financial backers. Liberation nuts are sold in 150g packs and can be bought at Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Oxfam stores, and health food stores nationwide plus online at www.ethicalsuperstore.com and www.goodnessdirect.co.uk. In supermarkets, Liberation nuts are stocked in the crisps and snacks aisle. World Fair Trade Day will be celebrated on Saturday, May 10th. It is endorsed by IFAT, the global network of Fairtrade organisations. Contact details For more information, photos or samples please contact Helen Riley on 07931 300 425 or 0207 422 0751 or email email@example.com . Notes to editors About Liberation Foods CIC With Liberation, farmers from Malawi, Mozambique, Bolivia, Brazil, Nicaragua, Peru, El Salvador and India are given the guaranteed fair price which come with the FAIRTRADE Mark for their produce and also receive a Fairtrade premium. The farming groups themselves decide where this premium is spent and very often put the money towards projects which benefit the entire community. As well as Liberation Nuts, Liberation Foods CIC also supplies Fairtrade nuts to supermarkets in the UK and abroad for own-label products. A CIC is a Community Interest Company. This is a new type of company with a socially driven mission. To be approved by the CIC Regulator, Liberation Foods had to pass a ‘Community of Interest test’. For Liberation, the Community of Interest is small-scale nut farmers and gatherers in Africa, Latin America and Asia and the company is completely run for their benefit |http://www.chooseliberation.com] This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Liberation in the following categories: Food & Drink, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.