Leading Open Source Database Provider Dedicates Time, Energy, and Resources to Drive Awareness and Adoption of Open Source Solutions
Slough, UK, 19th May 2008 - Ingres Corporation, a leading provider of open source database management software and support services, today announced that it has stepped up its involvement in the open source community to drive validation and adoption of open source. Among the company’s open source initiatives are the Ingres Janitors Project, Open Source Boot Camp, and the Global Ingres University Alliance.
“Ingres is committed to furthering the success of open source technology,” said Emma McGrattan, senior vice president of engineering at Ingres. “Today, open source technology has reached a tipping point as more and more enterprises understand the value that comes from open source, and the potential cost savings it provides companies. From community bundles to boot camps, Ingres will continue to dedicate its time, energy, and resources to drive awareness and adoption of open source technology and, through open source, transform the world of both business and IT for the better.”
Many organisations are choosing open source because of its maturity and the continually escalating IT costs facing today’s enterprises. During difficult economic times, IT is under increased pressure to manage costs, and it is no wonder that the adoption of open source is growing fast. An elemental choice is facing enterprises today – accept the expense and “lock-in” of proprietary vendors, or take advantage of the cost-effectiveness and freedom of open source.
“From 2005 to 2006, open source vendor revenue grew 36.3% to $140 million, compared
to the overall market growth of 12.2%,” writes Donald Feinberg, principal analyst, in the Gartner report entitled “Open Source in Database Management Systems, 2008,” and published 3rd April 2008. “We also believe this growth in revenue will continue during the next five years at more than 40%, exceeding $1 billion by 2012.”
Ingres is committed to the open source community and over the years has dedicated thousands of hours in research, together with its vast resources and technology, to improving the world of open source and driving innovation. Open source community initiatives at Ingres include:
- Community Bundles – Alliances with other open source providers and projects such as Alfresco, JasperSoft, Hibernate, Apache Tomcat, and Eclipse enable Ingres to provide its platform and technology with other leading open source technologies to create a more seamless and ubiquitous open source experience.
- Global Ingres University Alliances – Ingres holds active alliances to drive open source innovation with the following world-class universities: Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada; Ilmenau University in Germany; and Warwick University in the UK.
- Google Summer of Code – Ingres was accepted into this year’s Google Summer of Code, where a collection of students will work with Ingres mentors on a number of projects including the production of Linux and Mac OSX versions of Ingres CAFÉ.
- Ingres Engineering Summit – Engineers and private developers from all over the world descended on the Dominican Republic to attend this year’s Ingres Engineering Summit where external contributors were given the opportunity to work face-to-face with Ingres engineers and undertake a number of community development projects.
- Ingres Janitors Project – Provides the opportunity to participate in Ingres development and is a forum for new community members to familiarise themselves with the Ingres code.
- Membership of Open Source Initiatives – Ingres executives hold seats on the Open Solutions Alliance boards in both the US and EMEA, and membership in the Eclipse Foundation, as well as the Open Source Geospatial Foundation.
- Open Source Boot Camp – Established by Ingres and Carleton University, the goal of this programme is to work with other open source communities and projects to introduce university and college students and staff to the concepts and realities of open source.
For more information on Ingres and its growing community, please visit the Ingres community website at http://community.ingres.com.
About Ingres Corporation
Ingres Corporation is a leading provider of open source database management software and support services. Built on over 25 years of technology investment, Ingres is a leader in software and service innovation, providing the enterprise with proven reliability combined with the value and flexibility of open source. The company’s partnerships with leading open source providers further enhance the Ingres value proposition. In particular, Ingres is working with leading business intelligence providers to deliver appliances that combine the benefits of open source with advanced reporting and data analysis capabilities. Based in Redwood City, California, Ingres also has major development, sales and support centres throughout the world, supporting thousands of customers in the United States and internationally.
For more information, visit www.ingres.com.
Ingres is a registered trademark of Ingres Corporation, and Project Icebreaker is a trademark of Ingres Corporation. All other trademarks, trade names, service marks, and logos referenced herein belong to their respective companies.
Becky Kiely/Sarah Martinez
Tel: +44 (0) 845 3700655
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Octopus Communications in the following categories: Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.