Skip navigation
Skip navigation
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser.
There is site maintenance being carried out this weekend and there may be brief periods where we are unavailable. If so, please try again 10 minutes later.

Award winning Green IT organisation, Tier 1, dived straight in to help rescue the crew of Earthrace, the world’s fastest eco-boat, by urgently supplying a replacement laptop to the team.

Tier 1 Asset Management Ltd who specialise in the secure and ethical disposal of end of lifecycle IT equipment heard about the crew’s plight earlier this week.

Earthrace is a 24m tri-hull powerboat that runs on biofuel and is on day 45 of its attempt to break the world record for a powerboat to circumnavigate the globe. The boat is currently ahead of the world record pace, set by the British Cable and Wireless Adventurer team in 1998.

Pete Bethune, skipper of Earthrace, said: “One of our team on the base crew back in London had a major laptop disaster which resulted in losing a crucial communications tool. As a not for profit project, we didn’t have the funds to buy a new laptop but thanks to Tier 1, a free replacement was handed over within a few hours. The team were back online and able to continue with the vital logistics role required to help Earthrace continue on her journey around the world.”

Jonathan Rose, Managing Director of Tier said, “Tier 1 Asset Management Ltd was delighted to help the Earthrace project with the donation of a wireless Toshiba Tecra M2 laptop to boost the round the world speed attempt’s communication channels. We’re proud of what we do help encourage environmental change and so fully support the goals of Earthrace.”

Tier 1, who won the ‘Market Leaders – driving change in green IT’ at the 2008 European Green IT Awards, handle some of the largest and most sought-after IT disposal projects in the UK, and have the expertise, experience and professionally accredited processes to provide peace of mind and an environmentally-focused IT disposal solution to corporate clients. It is from such a source that a securely data wiped and professionally refurbished laptop could be donated to Earthrace.

The service is entirely focused on maximising the re-use of redundant IT. Tier 1 are proud to declare that 73% of all items handled by Tier 1 are re-used in their original state and the remaining 27% is recycled, meaning only a fraction of a percentage of the recycling by-product goes to landfill. Considering three quarters of the environmental cost of a laptop is expended before it is switched on for the first time (eg extraction mining, processing, manufacture and distribution) it is clear to see why so much relevance from Tier 1’s ethical point of view is placed on re-deploying used assets.

At a time when many ‘green’ initiatives come at a premium cost, Tier 1’s service is completely free to 85% of their clients and in most of these cases, actually provides revenue back to the company’s disposing of their equipment.


For further media information:

Thorburn Media Mick Thorburn 0034950 453340

Tier 1 Jon Selby, 0870 442 2022

Earthrace Bev Bailey 0208 870 4301

About Earthrace

Earthrace is a 24m (78ft) tri-hull wavepiercer that has been designed and built specifically to get the record for a powerboat to circumnavigate the globe. She is an advanced endurance vessel, capable of submarining up to 7m (23ft) underwater as she powers across oceans.

The goal of Earthrace is to set a new world record for a powerboat to circumnavigate the globe, running 100% renewable biodiesel fuel, and with a net zero carbon footprint.

From the start in Sagunto, the boat will cross the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans and travel through the Panama and Suez Canals as it thunders around the planet’s circumference at a maximum speed of 40 knots, attempting to break the round-the-world speed record. The full record route is as follows:

Sagunto (Spain) – Horta (Azores) – San Juan (Puerto Rico) – Colon (Panama Canal, Panama) – Manzanillo (Mexico) – San Diego (USA) – Maalaea Harbor, Maui (Hawaii) – Majuro (Marshall Islands) – Koror (Palau) – Singapore – Kochi/Cochin (India) – Salalah (Oman) – Port Said (Suez Canal, Egypt) – Sagunto (Spain)

Earthrace is run as a not-for-profit venture, with a boat, ground and London HQ crew made up of international volunteers.

You can find out in real time exactly where Earthrace is now by going to and clicking on the ‘Where is Earthrace’ globe.

This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Thorburn Media in the following categories: Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit