UK broadband users are still affected by slower speeds at peak times as broadband providers networks suffer congestion according to broadband analysts at http://www.broadband.co.uk.
"With reliability of broadband speed now the consumers top issue when comparing broadband suppliers we have taken the results of all the speedtests performed at broadband.co.uk and looked at performance over different time periods for individual suppliers so we can see which provide the most robust service" Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
The results not surprisingly show that overnight and during the daytime average speeds are higher than through the peak evening period. However the disparity is more evident at individual supplier level with some suppliers seeing much lower speeds during the peak periods than off-peak.
"Some suppliers such as BE, O2 and Orange manage to keep average speeds high across all time periods suggesting a good level of network capacity, whereas other see their speeds drop quite significantly during the peak periods suggesting that they struggle with capacity" adds Dawson.
The silver lining with the results for May 2008 is that on average broadband speeds as tested over the UK are still rising with the average download speed across all providers now at 3.36Mbps an improvement of 0.13Mbps on April 2008's average of 3.23Mbps, and a great
improvement of 0.69Mbps on the November 2007 average of only 2.67Mbps.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the attached pdf file.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test.jsp
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
*We pick out the following ISP's for reporting every month
- Be Broadband / O2 (although marketed separately they share a common infrastructure)
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides to all areas of broadband along with discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode lookup functionality
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any query related to broadband, technical, comparison and related
For more information contact Fiona Conner on 0115 959 6455 or email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.