Almost 10 million Britons suffer enough pain on a daily basis for it to impact on their quality of life and ability to work (note 1). Increasingly, people are turning to ways of reducing their pain without resorting to medication through complementary therapies.
Jonathan Hunt, one of only three somatic practitioners in the UK and founder of Somatic Living, says: “The most common cause of pain in the UK is back pain, with headaches not far behind (note 1). In times of pain and physical/emotional stress, the brain sends messages to muscles to contract, which make it difficult to move and lead to chronic tension and more pain. It is therefore important to re-educate the brain to stop sending these messages.”
There are some very simple things that will re-educate the brain to reverse pain and tension. Somatic Living’s top tips on how to feel great and fighting fit do not involve medication and are for anybody, whether young or old, able bodied or disabled, fit or unfit.
1. Start and finish the day with some movement type exercises to lengthen muscles.
2. Focus on maintaining a good posture - distorted or habituated postures arise because muscles become chronically contracted due to repetitive movements, injuries or emotional stress.
3. Manage stress positively – physical/emotional stress is a response of the body to the continuous demands of living. It is how we adapt to these demands that ultimately decides if we live well and age successfully.
4. Increase bodily awareness and reduce pain by taking part in a movement-based therapy, such as somatics
5. Face up to emotional issues - fear, anxiety, past experiences etc all cause us to hold ourselves (especially our muscles) very tightly.
“At Somatic Living we believe we have the answer to pain relief and stress management through Hanna Somatic Education. In the 1990s I was a professional footballer in the premiership but had to retire after a serious back and pelvic injury. Hanna Somatics gave my body back its freedom of movement and took away the pain and I’m now back playing the sport I love as a semi-professional for St Albans City. Hanna Somatics was the answer for me and my pain,” says Jonathan Hunt.
The effect of being pain-free and having back his freedom of movement prompted Jonathan to train as a somatic practitioner in the US, and he is now one of only three certified practitioners in the UK.
For further information on somatics and a drug-free approach to being pain free, visit www.somaticliving.com.
For further information, please contact:
Lindsey Collumbell, Public Relations, Bojangle Communications Ltd
Tel: 01372 274975 Mob: 0771 7744719 E: email@example.com W: www.bojangle.co.uk
Jonathan Hunt, Founder, Somatic Living
Tel: 07801 440 729 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.somaticliving.com
Notes to Editors:
1. Ref: The British Pain Society – 2005 British Pain Survey
2. Hanna Somatic Educators use a special form of neuromuscular (mind-body) education known as “assisted pandiculation”. Pandiculation involves a technique of slowly performed full-body muscular contractions and elongations. This truly unique method helps to quickly reduce pain, relieve tension, relax and lengthen muscles and give you a new found sense of control and freedom of movement.
3. Hanna Somatics system of neuromuscular education (mind-body training), teaches you how to feel the muscles that are keeping you tight and/or in pain, and then how to move them with greater efficiency. Once you are engaged in this educational process, your brain very quickly learns how to stop sending messages to your muscles to constantly contract. The result is relief from pain, better posture, enhanced bodily awareness and a newfound freedom of movement.
4. Equine Hanna Somatics - The same techniques can also be applied to horses by way of Equine Hanna Somatics (EHS). Jonathan was one of the first people to be trained in this truly unique method and is currently the only EHS practitioner in England. Jonathan’s fascination with horses was fostered as a young boy during numerous visits to Newmarket racecourse with his father. Ever since his early flirtation with the equine world, Jonathan has retained a healthy respect for horses, and feels truly blessed at the continued opportunity to share the Equine Hanna Somatic work with horses and their owners.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Bojangle Communications in the following categories: Health, Leisure & Hobbies, Home & Garden, Sport, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.