Although often being set in exotic, far-flung destinations, most Bond films have traditionally been filmed closer to home, with London and the canals of Venice being favourite locations. But this time it’s different, Daniel Craig and his latest “Bond girl”, Ukranian stunner Olga Kurylenko, have been filming in Latin America...
Much of Quantum of Solace - worldwide release on 07 Nov (31 Oct in UK) - was shot in Latin America, with filming taking place in Chile, Panama and Mexico. Read on for more information and travel ideas.
FOLLOW IN BOND'S FOOTSTEPS...
BOND in CHILE
Rumour has it that the fictional Andean country featured in the film is based on Bolivia. However, instead of choosing to film there, the producers opted for neighbouring Chile – and the region around Antofagasta (part of Bolivia until 1884!), the Atacama desert around Cerro Paranal, the historic mining “ghost town” of Baquedano and the Pacific coast around Cobija. The ESO Paranal Observatory was the setting for some of the most spectacular scenes; with its “Residencia”, an avant-garde lodge built for astronomers working at the observatory, chosen as the ideal hideout for “Dominic Greene”, the villain. The cast and crew were clearly impressed with what they saw…
“It’s a stunning place! We were very lucky to be up there. It has been extraordinary!”: Daniel Craig.
“Chile is a beautiful country. We went all through the northern part and it has been an inspiration to us for the script…the place here at ESO is unique in the world”: Michael Wilson (Producer).
Read the full interview with Marc Forster (director), Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson (producers) and download production photos here
* Visit the set: Journey Latin America launches a new “Bond in Chile” itinerary, including 3 nights at the Radisson hotel in Antofagasta (where the crew stayed while filming) with tours to the Paranal Observatory and Baquedano; 4 nights at the luxurious Explora en Atacama with outdoor adventures; and 3 nights in Santiago with full-day tour to a nearby vineyard.
* Price: 10 nights in Chile from £3369 per person including all flights.
BOND in PANAMA
In Panama City, filming took place in the city’s picturesque old town, the Casco Viejo – including in the ruins of what was once the country’s most elite social club (the Union Club) and Noriega’s notorious “Officers and Troops Club”. Daniel Craig and the production team apparently stayed in several hotels, including a new bed & breakfast in the Casco Viejo, The Canal House. At the other end of the famous Panama Canal, they filmed in the precarious old wooden buildings of Colón (supposedly representing Haiti), and on a private island off the Caribbean coast.
* Visit the set: Journey Latin America launches a new “Bond in Panama” itinerary with 3 nights at the Canal House in Panama City, with a tour of the Casco Viejo and half-day transit of the Panama Canal; 2 nights at the exclusive “Bond-style” hideaway on the Caribbean, Coral Lodge; train journey from Colón to Panama City and 3 nights at the Canopy Tower birding lodge, a converted military observation tower overlooking the surrounding rainforest and canal.
* Price: 8 nights in Panama from £2372 pp including all flights.
BOND in MEXICO
With spectacular mid-air gunfights and aerial views over the wild desert landscapes and sparkling Sea of Cortés, Baja California was the other Latin American setting for the film. Most of the scenes were allegedly shot (from the air) around the small costal town called San Felipe, located around 2 hours from Mexicali, with sweeping views of the surrounding sierras and ocean.
A far cry from the all-inclusive beach hotels and golf resorts of Los Cabos (on Baja’s southern tip), the virtually undeveloped Sea of Cortés coast is a beautiful, arid wilderness boasting a wide variety of desert flora, pristine white-sand beaches and crystal-clear water, home to abundant marine wildlife from rays and sealions, to whales and dolphins. Hidden away near Loreto and La Paz, are a few boutique beach hotels, desert canyons and uninhabited islands ideal for outdoor activities including hiking and sea kayaking.
* Visit the set: Journey Latin America launches a new “Bond in Baja” itinerary in Mexico, including 3 nights sea kayaking in the Sea of Cortés, 3 nights at a luxury beach hideaway in Loreto and 3 nights in Mexico City, staying at the capital’s hip W hotel. Visit the region from January to March and go whale watching off the Pacific coast, to see the migrating grey whales nurture their young in the shallow lagoons.
* Price: 9 nights in Mexico from £2329 per person including all flights.
Other BOND MOMENTS in LATIN AMERICA…
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro, Iguassú Falls and the Amazon
Who could forget the classic scrap between Bond and Jaws on the Sugar Loaf cable car in Rio…
17 nights “Best of Brazil” escorted group tour from £2238 pp including all flights and a tour leader throughout.
Guatemala - Tikal National Park
The incredible Mayan pyramids of Tikal also feature in the film, towering above the rainforest…
11 nights in Guatemala & Belize, on our “Coppola tour”, from £2071 pp including all flights and staying at luxury jungle lodges owned by Francis Ford Coppola.
* DIE ANOTHER DAY
Cuba – Havana
Jinx’s (Halle Berry) infamous beach entrance and Zao’s island clinic were supposedly set in Cuba but, due to the US embargo, scenes were actually filmed in Cadiz (Havana), London (cigar factory) and Cornwall (beach scenes). Do better than Bond and go to see the real thing..!
10 nights in Cuba, on our “Rum & Revolution” escorted group tour, from £1607 pp including all flights and a tour leader throughout.
Note – all prices are based on double occupancy and include all flights, hotel accommodation with some meals, land transfers and guided excursions.
JOURNEY LATIN AMERICA
020 8747 8315 (London), 0161 832 1441 (Manchester) or 1800 818 126 (Eire).
Let us know if you need any further info, prices or images to go with the above destinations.
Tim Murray-Walker: 020 8090 4727 firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Forsyth: 020 8622 8422 email@example.com
Jenny Powles: 020 8622 8418 firstname.lastname@example.org
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Journey Latin America in the following categories: Men's Interest, Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, Travel, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.