Skip navigation
Skip navigation
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser.
There is site maintenance being carried out this weekend and there may be brief periods where we are unavailable. If so, please try again 10 minutes later.
CO828 Digital carbon monoxide alarm

Protecting your family whilst on holiday with a portable carbon monoxide (CO) alarm has been highlighted in a new campaign led by the parents of two children who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Corfu two years ago. Sharon Wood and Neal Shepherd are campaigning for travel companies to take greater responsibility in raising awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning to their customers and ensuring all holiday accommodation receive more frequent boiler servicing and carbon monoxide alarms are provided. In the meantime Sharon and Neal are urging families to take short-term steps by buying a CO alarm to protect them whilst on holiday.

John Walsh, managing director at FireAngel believes Sharon and Neal’s campaign is another important step in helping to reduce the number of carbon monoxide poisoning incidents across the UK and abroad. ‘Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, odourless and tasteless gas. It is a natural product of combustion of fossil fuels and when appliances are working correctly and are properly vented then carbon monoxide will normally be exhausted harmlessly outside of a property. Sharon and Neal’s campaign to get boiler servicing contracts carried out on an annual basis within holiday accommodation should help to ensure a safer environment, while the use of a portable CO alarm will give families extra peace of mind.’

Sadly for Sharon and Neal’s two children Christi and Bobby, carbon monoxide poisoning was fatal as the body’s ability to transport oxygen to vital organs is impaired when exposed to CO. Many more instances of CO poisoning also go unreported as they are often unrecognised, although they can result in serious long term health problems.

Carbon monoxide poisoning in its early stages produces symptoms often misdiagnosed as flu, these would include slight headache, nausea, vomiting and fatigue. Greater exposure will result in severe throbbing headache, drowsiness, confusion and increased heart rate. Exposure to high levels will result in unconsciousness, convulsions, cardio respiratory failure and death. Carbon monoxide cannot be detected by the human senses, yet is the most common form of poisoning in the home.

FireAngel’s range of carbon monoxide alarms are suitable for both use on holiday or in the home. The CO808 LED alarm alerts users to both low and high levels of carbon monoxide through an alarm sound. The CO828 alarm with digital display constantly monitors levels of carbon monoxide present and will alert users to danger before high levels of CO are reached. They are very easy to set up and use due to their battery operation, are cost- effective and available to buy from major retailers such as B&Q and Tesco. Both products have a 5 year warranty and are certified to BS EN 50291-2001.

For more information contact Kate Abbey on 024 7623 6600
or email:


This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of FireAngel in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Health, Leisure & Hobbies, Home & Garden, Women's Interest & Beauty, Consumer Technology, Travel, for more information visit