25 July 2008
UK drivers gripped by Tarmac Terror
- Insurer identifies nation’s argument hotspots -
1.8 million* rows, arguments and altercations are set to break out on Britain’s roads this weekend as the nation is gripped by ‘Tarmac Terror’.
With schools out and temperatures set to rise, millions of British families are taking to the roads to reach holiday destinations, but new research from MORE TH>N insurance reveals that almost two-thirds of drivers will lose their cool within just 30 minutes of being on the road.
A further 20 per cent will be using abusive language or hand signals towards fellow road users as sunshine-induced stress takes a hold.
To help road users avoid getting embroiled in travel tantrums this weekend, MORE TH>N has identified the UK’s argument hotspots and the routes where blood is most likely to be boiling**. These include:
* The M5 around Exeter as drivers head to the beaches of Devon and Cornwall
* The M56 between Ellesmere Port and Chester as drivers from the North head to the North Wales coastline
* The M55 as sunseekers head to Blackpool
* The A66 near Penrith as visitors flock to the Lake District
* The A149 outside King’s Lynn as Midlanders head to the Norfolk coast
As a result, 59% of drivers admit to feeling apprehensive ahead of long car journeys, while 63% say they’ve been intimidated and even threatened by other drivers. No-where is this more true than in London, the Midlands and Wales, which have been revealed as harbouring some of the most frightening road users. Even in regions with the most placid drivers such as East Anglia and the North East, over half of all drivers feel threatened.
Pete Markey, Head of Marketing at MORE TH>N said “At MORE TH>N we want to do all we can to help people cope with heightened stress levels and stay calm on the roads. A calmer driver is generally a safer driver so, especially this weekend when so many cars will be carrying families with younger children off on holiday, its important that drivers don’t let little irritations get the better of them.”
For more information about MORE TH>N car insurance or to obtain a quote, visit www.morethan.com/car <http://www.morethan.com/car> or call 0800 300 220.
Notes to editors:
* *Based on an estimated 18 million drivers on the roads on sunny days (Source: AA / keepmoving.co.uk).
* *Calculation based on 20% of road users, or 3.6 million abusive motorists, leading to 1.8 million potential altercations.
* **Argument hotspots based on predicted traffic hotspots (source: Highways Agency / AA)
* All other statistics from consumer research survey of 1000 motorists by Fly Research
For further information:
MORE TH>N External Communications
T: 020 7337 5602
M: 07717 294529
MORE TH>N External Communications
T: 020 7337 5369
M: 07824 529276
About MORE TH>N:
MORE TH>N is the direct financial services arm of RSA. It offers motor, home, pet, life and travel insurance by phone and via the internet. It also offers van, shop, office, business car, hotels, property, club and contractor insurance direct to small businesses.
In December 2006 MORE TH>N, together with its parent company Royal & SunAlliance, became the first insurer in the UK to be carbon neutral. The company has cut its carbon footprint by over half since 2000 and has offset the remainder by purchasing voluntary carbon reductions.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Cow PR in the following categories: Motoring, Travel, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.