12 August 2008 - MLL Telecom today announced that it has joined the Mobile WiMAX Acceleration Group (M-WAG), which is bringing together companies from across the telecoms and media industries with the aim of providing the components for the delivery of a commercially viable mobile WiMAX service. A trial network in Maidstone, Kent is M-WAG’s first in the UK and is being used to demonstrate a number of different consumer and business applications.
MLL specialises in building and operating broadband wireless networks and is an active participant in the Maidstone pilot network, which runs over 2.5GHz and covers 7.5 square kilometres in the centre of the town.
There is a range of trials running over the M-WAG network including:
Broadcast Trial - Electronic News Gathering: This is aimed at demonstrating the ability of Mobile WiMAX to provide a rapid response and cost-effective means of linking, in real-time, the output from news crews back to the studio centre.
CCTV Trial: A number of Maidstone Council’s CCTV cameras are connected to the trial WiMAX network to provide 24/7 monitoring.
Public Safety Trial: Kent Fire and Rescue Service is testing the use of Mobile WiMAX to deliver real-time video between an incident scene, a mobile command unit and the brigade control room, with the intent of improving the communication between at-scene commanders and central control. Facilities will also be created to link mobile units with Maidstone Council CCTV and to download high resolution satellite and aerial imagery from incident scenes.
Broadband on the Move / Mobile VoIP: WiMAX will be available in a number of cars in Maidstone.
WiFi to WiMAX handover: With appropriate roaming agreements in place between operators, users can wander between WiFi and WiMAX networks in a seamless way, which enables greater flexibility and better service to the customer.
Consumer benefits demonstrated by the M-WAG pilot network include untethering the user’s broadband experience, making high bandwidth and high quality multimedia services – such as online games and MP3 downloads - accessible and affordable outside of the home or office.
Kenny Kamal, CTO at MLL Telecom, said: “We are very excited to be part of this important project, and are pleased to be working alongside such strong partners to deliver this unique service." He continued: “The expertise and experience gained from building this mobile WiMAX network is invaluable. If any companies who are considering bidding in the upcoming auction for the 2.6GHz spectrum would like to come and see it for themselves they are very welcome.”
The Mobile WiMAX Acceleration Group was established in 2007 to demonstrate the technology chain required for mobile WiMAX roll-out in the UK and prove the business case ahead of Ofcom’s forthcoming spectrum auction.
MLL Telecom has an extensive portfolio of customers and channel partners including system integrators, enterprise and public sector organisations. This includes BT, Vodafone, Affiniti, ntl:Telewest, Azzurri, East Sussex County Council, North Yorkshire County Council, Dorset Police and North Dorset District Council.
About the Mobile WiMAX Acceleration Group (www.mwaguk.com)
The Mobile WiMAX Acceleration Group (M-WAG) seeks to bring together companies from across the telecoms and media industries with the aim of providing the components for the delivery of a commercially viable mobile WiMAX service. M-WAG intends to pre-assemble and test an end-to-end mobile WiMAX technology supply chain and carry out user trials on the network. This will enable M-WAG to explore the business case for a national wholesale and retail mobile WiMAX networks against a range of innovative new value chain business models.
Member companies include:
• Alvarion ltd (NASDAQ: ALVR), the world’s leading provider of WiMAX and wireless broadband solutions (www.alvarion.com)
• Bluenowhere, a municipal WiMAX & WiFi wholesale wireless network operator (www.bluenowhere.net)
• imag!ne, provides carrier class voice & data services to business & residential customers (www.imagine.ie)
• MLL Telecom, a specialist in building and operating broadband wireless networks (www.mlltelecom.com)
• Mobile-Sense, provides consumers with an independent payment channel via the mobile device (www.mobile-sense.com)
• Mott MacDonald, a management, engineering and development consultancy serving the public and private sectors world-wide (www.mottmac.com)
• National Grid Wireless, leading providers of large-scale telecommunications and broadcast infrastructure to the providers of wireless communications services (www.nationalgridwireless.com)
• Nortel, leader in delivering communications capabilities to businesses globally (www.nortel.com)
• Quiconnect, an interconnectivity services provider for mobile broadband (www.quiconnect.com)
• Red-M, a wireless professional services company providing consultancy, audit, design, implementation, systems integration and management services (www.red-m.com)
• Urban Wimax, the UK’s first commercial WiMAX operator (www.urbanwimax.co.uk)
About MLL Telecom (www.mlltelecom.com)
MLL Telecom specialises in delivering carrier-grade wireless connectivity that allows customers to effectively integrate locations other network providers cannot economically reach. The company delivers fully managed 24x7 services to a high service level agreement (SLA) and currently manages more than 5000 links nationwide. MLL is able to provide customers with highly resilient, future-proof, safe and secure networks, via fast and cost-effective delivery.
For more information please contact:
Tel: + 44 1296 394 000 or + 44 7930 301 601.
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Bratton PR (Middlesex) in the following categories: Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.