New research carried out by Dioralyte – an oral rehydration therapy to replace fluids and electrolytes lost as a result of diarrhoea - has revealed that Brits are taking an average of one month off work in sick days over their working lifetime due to tummy troubles*.
The survey carried out on 3,144 respondents in the UK found that, while the majority of people suffer from the runs for a 24 hour period, over a quarter revealed it lasted up to two days, and 2% - the equivalent to 1.2 million people – said their diarrhoea often lasted over five days.
“Diarrhoea is a very common problem, and while many people try and struggle on, for others it can be very disruptive to their lives. When it lasts for more than 24 hours, diarrhoea can potentially be quite dangerous, particularly for the elderly and children who can dehydrate very quickly and require medical attention” commented a spokesperson for Dioralyte.
The survey also delved into the weird and wonderful toilet habits of the UK, revealing 41% of people escape from their family by hiding in the toilet, while 10% sing on the loo and 7% count! According to Dioralyte’s findings, it would seem people have plenty of time to carry out these activities, with 36% spending between 10-20 minutes a day on the toilet – working out at 2-5 days a year. But that’s nothing compared to the 1% - 600,000 people – who are spending over 13 days a year on the toilet.
Diarrhoea is the passing of frequent watery stools, and can quickly cause the body to dehydrate. When they have diarrhoea, 38% of the people surveyed said they drink lots of water to treat it. Dioralyte is formulated to replace lost water and body salts to rehydrate the body for fast effective treatment. Dioralyte Relief also contains rice powder which helps to solidify stools and return bowel movements to normal, reducing the duration of diarrhoea.
Dioralyte Standard is £3.55 for 6 sachets and Dioralyte Relief is £3.95 for 6 sachets.
Both are available from pharmacies nationwide.
For more information please call 01202 449271
* Based on people taking an average 0.67 days off work per year over an average working lifetime of 47 years
- ends -
Issued by: Pegasus Public Relations
On behalf of: Sanofi Aventis
Press enquiries: Laura Cook (01903) 821 550
Notes to Editors:
· Each Dioralyte sachet contains: glucose 3.56g, sodium chloride 0.47g, potassium chloride 0.30g and disodium hydrogen citrate 0.53g as active ingredients
· Powder is for the preparation of a solution with 200ml (approx. 7fl oz) of water
· Dioralyte is recommended for the replacement of essential water and salt loss in infants, children and adults in the treatment of acute diarrhoea. Acute means of sudden onset and short duration
· Early use of Dioralyte is important to avoid dehydration, particularly in the young and elderly
· Dioralyte is available in a variety of flavours
· Always read the label
· Full prescribing information, available on request
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Pegasus Public Relations (Worthing) in the following categories: Men's Interest, Health, Women's Interest & Beauty, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.