Virgin Media are now challenging O2 for the claim to the UK's fastest broadband supplier according to broadband analysts at broadband.co.uk.
"Throughout most of 2008 O2 have been the undisputed leader in terms of average download speed, however results for August show that Virgin Media are snapping at their heels" Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
Broadband.co.uk calculate the average download speeds for individual broadband suppliers based up the results of thousands of UK broadband consumers using their broadband speed test.
"While O2 are holding onto the overall highest average speeds with 6.157Mbps compared to 6.097Mbps, Virgin come in with the fastest average speeds during the evening and late night periods" adds Dawson.
We wait with interest to see if the Virgin can overhaul O2 to the all round top spot next month.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the attached pdf file .
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test.jsp
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
*We pick out the following ISP's for reporting every month
- Be Broadband / O2 (although marketed separately they share a common infrastructure)
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides to all areas of broadband along with discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode lookup functionality
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any query related to broadband, technical, comparison and related
For more information contact Fiona Conner on 0115 959 6460 or email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.