The voice of product safety
Sony Recalls 440,000 laptops over burn risk
Sony is recalling laptop computers after a fault caused some of them to overheat which left seven people with minor burns.
If you need independent, expert comment on this story, Richard Poate, Compliance Services Manager, TÜV Product Service, one of the world’s leading experts on product testing, is available.
TÜV works worldwide as a notified body which can decide if products are safe for retail. It works with international brands including BMW, Christian Dior, Motorola, LIDL, Samsung and B&Q.
Areas that Richard can comment on include:
• Why people underestimate the amount of electrical energy in a laptop computer and the damage it can cause.
• How a short circuit can cause severe overheating and even result in a fire.
• How electrical wiring routed through hinges and other moving parts (as with the Sony laptops) are potential weak points - manufacturers should ensure adequate protection of these wires.
• How laptops are subject to safety testing in accordance with the European Standard which requires potential faults within the laptop to be simulated, including fire safety.
• How the industry in the USA has become very aware of the dangers of battery powered portable devices - for mobile phones many of the leading networks don’t permit a mobile to be used on their network unless the battery system has been independently verified.
• Why TÜV Product Service believes that the UK and Europe should follow this lead to better regulate the safety of the batteries used in portable devices.
• Advice for laptop users – what signs to look out for and how to deal with overheating safely.
About TÜV Product Service: www.tuvps.co.uk
TÜV Product Service is one of the world’s leading experts on product testing with 170,000 product certifications in circulation globally. With 13,000 employees worldwide, it covers regulatory and voluntary aspects associated with satisfying legal and cultural requirements for products. It also helps retailers across the world to ensure a consistent supply chain by helping them to ensure safe, compliant and reliable products are put on the shelves.
About Richard Poate:
Richard joined TÜV Product Service in 1994. He is responsible for managing a team of nine consultant engineers that provide a range of testing, consultancy and certification services, helping manufacturers to sell their products internationally. He started his career in electrical/electronic engineering with the MoD, followed by employment as Senior Medical Physics Technician for the NHS.
For further information contact:
Fiona Healey/Sarah Miles
T: 023 8082 8500
E: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Lawton Communications Group in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.