Dairy peptides are predicted to become the latest functional food trend after a new study provides further evidence that the ingredient helps lower blood pressure.
An independent study carried out by researchers in the Netherlands found that dairy peptides, derived from milk protein, successfully lower blood pressure in people with mild hypertension.
One in three adults in the UK is now living with increased blood pressure which is linked to an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, kidney disease and dementia.
While not designed to replace medication, dairy peptides help prevent the reaction that cause blood vessels to constrict, preventing hypertension in individuals with higher than average blood pressure.
Currently Works With Water’s 120/80 bottled spring water is the only food or drink product in the UK to contain dairy peptides. However, experts are predicting it will become the latest functional food trend.
The study, carried out by Dutch research organisation TNO, monitored 80 sufferers of hypertension between the ages of 30 and 70.
The participants were given two capsules a day containing either dairy peptides or a placebo over a four week period.
Those with stage one hypertension saw a clear reduction in blood pressure following treatment with dairy peptides, compared with placebo. Systolic blood pressure reduced by 3.8mmHg. A reduction in systolic blood pressure of 3 to 5mmHg is associated with a decrease in the risk for stroke and coronary heart disease of approximately 15 per cent and 10 per cent respectively.
Jules Birch, founder of Works With Water, said: “As a new ingredient, dairy peptides were received with some level of cynicism, however, this study provides further solid evidence of their effectiveness in managing blood pressure.
“Currently we are the only food or drinks manufacturer in the UK using dairy peptides, but we know that many large companies have been watching our success and awaiting the results of this latest study with keen interest.
“The functional food industry is a growing and dynamic market and I wouldn’t be surprised if we now see many new products containing dairy peptides coming onto the market in 2009.”
For more information on 120/80 visit www.workswithwater.co.uk or for more information on the study visit http://www.dsm.com/nl_NL/html/dfs/news_items/TNOtensguard.ht....
For more information, interviews or images contact:
Tel: 0161 932 1159/ 07730415027
Notes to Editors:
• The Works with Water range was launched in 2006 by founder Jules Birch and is now sold in selected stores of Tesco & Morrisons
• WWW works in partnership with global ingredients specialists DKSH who are experts in the field of ingredients and nutrition
• 120/80 is the UK’s only spring water to contain dairy peptides which are clinically proven to reduce blood pressure when consumed as part of a healthy diet
• All the waters in the range are preservative-free, sugar free, naturally flavoured, and are suitable for vegetarians, diabetics, coeliacs and pregnant women
• 2009 will see WWW introduce multipacks into its range in direct response to consumers who are seeing the clear health benefits of drinking the waters each day
For more information about the range visit www.workswithwater.co.uk
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Beattie Communications (Manchester) in the following categories: Health, Food & Drink, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.