Outdated perceptions and low awareness levels put confidential data at risk
Morristown, New Jersey & London, UK, September 22, 2008 – CertifiedMail, Inc., a leading global provider of secure messaging solutions and Osterman Research, Inc., a leading market research and consulting firm in the messaging and collaboration space, today announced the results of a new study into business practices for handling sensitive email content securely. The Joint Research Report: Encryption Solution Implementation Landscape reveals that sensitive data is put daily at risk because of old-fashioned perceptions and lack of understanding.
The average number of employees in the online survey conducted in North America and Europewas 13,257 and 11,119, respectively. Respondents came from a wide range of industries, including manufacturing (18%), financial services (14%), government (11%) and healthcare (8%).
Of the 205 enterprises surveyed:
· 47% do not have the ability to send encrypted email directly from their desktop.
· Only 45% can send encrypted email manually through their email client.
· Only 13% can send encrypted emails automatically through some sort of policy-based encryption capability.
· Osterman Research found that 27% of organizations had experienced an accidental or malicious data leak during the previous 12 months.
· Among those respondents that can send a manually encrypted email, 22% found doing so somewhat difficult or difficult, while another 44% consider sending encrypted email manually to be “not too difficult”. Much of the belief that encrypted email is generally difficult to use arises from the legacy of difficult-to-use, difficult-to-manage and expensive infrastructures that were not scalable and caused other problems. While today’s encrypted email systems are substantially easier to use than early-generation systems, the legacy continues to hold true for many decision makers.
· The market of frequent encrypted email users – those who would be the primary drivers for the adoption of encrypted email in most organizations – comprise 18% of total email users. Occasional users, comprise another 31% of users, while infrequent users comprise the remaining roughly one-half (51%) of users.
· Survey respondents indicated that if encrypting an email could be accomplished by simply clicking a button in the email client, “infrequent” users would likely use encryption frequently for all types of communications, even those that contained only moderately sensitive content. Nearly one-half of users want to have automatic encryption capabilities.
“The consequences of not encrypting sensitive content such as financial data, trade secrets, login credentials, information on potential mergers and acquisitions, means this data is open for any hacker to view and disseminate,” said Kelly Mackin, COO and President of CertifiedMail, Inc. “Many organizations can experience loss of revenue and reputation if their confidential communications are made public and many organizations can lose crucial data and not even know it before it’s too late. We are at a point in time where no one questions the validity or need for anti-virus or anti-spyware. We need to make the next leap in educating businesses that the ability to conduct confidential on-line business is readily available today.”
“The results of this survey clearly indicate what organizations should do to protect their confidential data and their organizations from financial and other harm,” said Michael Osterman, President, Osterman Research, Inc. “Companies need to deploy an easy-to-use encryption capability that will allow users to encrypt private content, even content that is only mildly sensitive. This will ensure that organizations are protected from the potential loss of sensitive information that could come back to harm them.”
For more information regarding CertifiedMail services, please go to www.certifiedmail.com
CertifiedMail, Inc. is an award-winning provider of secure messaging solutions. Its patented technology and open architecture enable organizations of all sizes to securely communicate sensitive information, meet regulatory privacy requirements, and maximize return on investment. CertifiedMail’s products are deployed globally by governments, healthcare, financial, legal, insurance, pharmaceutical and e-commerce companies to securely accomplish more business electronically with less expense, less risk, less effort and more security. Customers include Boston Scientific, Citrix Systems, Covenant Health, Delta Dental, Rite Aid, Sovereign Bank, Sun Life Assurance, Sutter Health and many US and foreign government agencies.
About Osterman Research:
Osterman Research was founded by Michael Osterman in 2001. Since that time, the company has become one of the leading analyst firms in the messaging and collaboration space, providing research, analysis, white papers and other services to companies like Microsoft, IBM, Google, Yahoo!, Novell, Quest Software, Hewlett Packard, Dell MessageOne, Proofpoint and many others. The core of Osterman Research's capabilities is its market research panel of IT professionals and end users that are regularly surveyed on a variety of topics related to email, instant messaging, spam, collaboration, security, storage, archiving, data retention, compliance and other areas. This continually updated knowledge base of information from decision makers and influencers helps Osterman Research to understand developments and gain insight into the trends that affect its clients.
# # #
Tel: +44 (0)1628 560 161
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of BondPR UK in the following categories: Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.