Thousands of classic car owners are set to face misery next Spring as a result of battery problems relating to Winter storage, affecting as many as one in four classic cars, according to CTEK, the leading worldwide innovator and supplier of lead acid battery chargers.
Batteries which are standing for an extended period will inevitably slowly discharge over time, which is something commonly experienced by classic cars during their winter hibernation. To avoid the battery woes come Spring, and the dreaded click of the key turning in the ignition on the first drive of the year, CTEK has developed some top tips for Winter storage.
When putting the vehicle to bed for the Winter:
• Ideally the battery should be removed from the vehicle but whether removed or not the following should be undertaken:
• The battery should be checked for any cracks and disposed of or repaired professionally if needed.
• The top of the battery, the terminal posts and connections should be carefully cleaned with water and baking soda to remove any dirt or moisture. Dirty or moist surfaces increase the level of self discharge.
• Contact terminals should be clean, dry and lightly greased to protect against corrosion.
• If the battery has been removed, the compartment it sits in should be cleaned and dried to remove any electrolyte that may be present that will cause corrosion.
• Traditional wet / flooded batteries (not maintenance free types) should have electrolyte levels checked and topped up between min /max levels with distilled water.
• To avoid a flat battery maintain constant regular charge. If you have electricity in your garage or storage area you can use a smart battery charger that will maintain charge levels, keep the battery in good condition and ensure that your car is ready to drive when spring arrives.
Before re-starting your car in the Spring
• Ensure that the battery terminals are clean and secure.
• Check battery charge levels and recharge the battery if required.
• It is a common misconception that a jump start, followed by a long drive fully recharges the battery from the alternator. This is not the case, as an alternator will only partly charge the battery. After this first drive, the battery will need to be charged or it will quickly be drained once again.
• If you are unsure about any area of battery maintenance ask a qualified technician.
Peter White, Sales & Marketing Manager, UK & Ireland, CTEK, commented:
“It is always disappointing when your beloved classic car doesn’t start after months of waiting in anticipation for Spring to arrive. By following our winter storage tips and keeping batteries fully charged throughout the winter, people can avoid a flat battery and, more importantly, a whole lot of hassle trying to get their cars started again.”
CTEK’s unique range of smart chargers optimise the performance of lead-acid batteries by determining accurate readings of a battery’s charge and ensuring the appropriate action is taken to optimise the battery for use, thereby prolonging a battery’s life to the benefit of both the vehicle owner and the environment.
The patented CTEK system maintains optimum charge levels to extend battery life and, most importantly, ensure that vehicles are able to start first time, every time. With each product intended for unsupervised use, foolproof to connect, spark proof and reverse-polarity protected, there is no need to regularly connect and disconnect batteries. Moreover, each CTEK smart charger regulates changes in mains voltage to protect any sensitive electrical and hi-fi equipment.
CTEK products are available in the UK and Ireland through a network of stockists, details of which can be found via the CTEK website www.ctek.com
Tel: +44 (0) 1858 411600
Mob: +44 (0) 7974 141266
CTEK was founded less than 10 years ago and is the leading global innovator and supplier of lead acid battery chargers.
A sister company to Creator Teknisk Utveckling AB, a leading design and product development consultancy, CTEK was established following a research and development programme developed into a worldwide opportunity to design, manufacture and supply and new system of battery chargers that would meet the requirements of new generation batteries.
CTEK’s unique and patented technology has built a reputation for innovation and being first to market with new products. CTEK is a world leading authority on battery technology, battery chargers and battery care.
CTEK supplies its products in the UK and Ireland through a network of Distributors chosen for their specialist channel knowledge and technical capability.
CTEK supplies chargers to some of the world’s most recognised car and motorcycle manufacturers e.g. Porsche, Mercedes, Harley Davidson, Bentley.
About Punch Communications
Established in 2003, Punch Communications is a PR Agency that specialises in providing strategic PR consultancy, including media relations and training, product launches and crisis management that has significant and measurable impact on client’s business.
Punch digital PR Agency recently celebrated its fifth year in business with a move to prestigious new offices and represents a host of clients from varied sectors including digital, financial, consumer, automotive and property.
For a full list of Public Relations services, including case studies, client and media testimonials, please visit www.punchcomms.com
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Punch Communications in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Motoring, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.