Skip navigation
Skip navigation
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser.

London, UK: Sentrum (www.sentrum.com), a specialist in data centre solutions, has today released new research which shows that whilst demand for data centre capacity is increasing in the UK, the uncertainty surrounding how best to manage these needs is growing just as quickly.

The report, which captures the comments from senior IT professionals within large enterprise businesses, found that naivety around the available options - particularly the cost element and the issues relating to the control of the data centre - were stalling decisions. The confusion means that many are putting plans on hold, causing delays which could potentially cost firms in the future as space requirements continue to grow.

Interestingly, the findings showed that although some firms (44%) were considering developing their own mega data centres, incredibly, not one of the interviewees could point to a concrete plan for such a development. The other 56% of respondents commented that the mega data centre option would never be an intention – suggesting further the potential demise of the mega data centre.

Andy Ruhan, CEO at Sentrum commented, "The research clearly shows that organisations are facing confusion about what data centre needs they have, and how best to manage them, both in the short and long term. It seems that not only are they unsure if they should outsource in the first instance, they also don't know who to outsource to or what the likely costs will be. However, one thing is clear from the findings - most understand that if they were to consider building their own data centre they need to ensure they are working with the right partners that have the right specialist skills.”

The current lack of movement in the mega data centre market today appears to be as a result of the ever-changing climate. This issue is having an impact on a number of the respondents as they cited that it was impossible to plan for demand – concerned about outgrowing the space too quickly (26%) - or that it would be difficult to accurately forecast space requirements (45%) for a mega data centre in the current conditions.

Whilst other issues such as the availability of sufficient power for data centres (14%) and doubts over the location of such a space (5%) are causing further concerns, the report was surprising in that only 20% of respondents thought that the development of a mega data centre would be in conflict with their organisation’s environmental policies.

For further information on Sentrum data centres, please visit: www.sentrum.com

About the Research
The report was commissioned by Sentrum and undertaken by Dynamic Markets. It details quantitative research with IT professionals in organisations across the UK. A total of 100 interviews were collected with senior IT professionals across a wide variety of industry sectors and in large organisations with 250 or more employees. All respondents confirmed prior to interview that they were an IT professional responsible for the company’s data centres from an operational and/or strategic perspective.

About Sentrum
Founded in 2005, Sentrum specialises in the design, build and management of bespoke data centre solutions for the multinational corporate market. The company has four facilities around London (Camberley, Sutton, Watford & the recently acquired Woking unit) comprising in excess of 1.1 million sq ft of space.

Introduced to address the gap in the marketplace for data centre facilities that could meet corporate requirements of less than 50,000 sq ft, Sentrum is the first data centre operator to offer fully bespoke solutions, with a dedicated plant for every data suite. In addition, because every data suite is bespoke, Sentrum offers clients a practical cost-effective solution that is tailored to meet specific business needs.

The Sentrum team is comprised entirely of data centre and property development professionals. The two principals alone have built out over 3.2 million sq ft of data centre space to date.

For more information, or to receive an Executive Summary of the research, please contact:

Clare Shephard
maillot jaune communications
tel: 07736 793332
email: clare.shephard@maillot-jaune.co.uk



This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Maillot Jaune Communications in the following categories: Business & Finance, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.