Friday 31st October, 2008
GO POP THIS CHRISTMAS!
This Christmas, UK shoppers will for the first time, be able to access entertainment gifts in minutes, beating the Christmas queues and benefiting from great prices.
UCA are launching POP; a fun, convenient and hi-tech way of buying DVDs, Blu-ray, console games and downloading music and movies, 24/7.
POP, a vending machine for the 21st Century, allows you to watch movie trailers, read reviews, check the charts and purchase the latest DVD releases, along with movie classics and console games.
Using an interactive touch screen, you simply select the DVD, Blu-ray, or game you wish to buy, swipe your credit or debit card and the DVD or game ‘pops’ out. As of November you will also be able to download film and music direct from POP machines. Downloads will be compatible with most PDAs, memory cards/sticks or MP3/4 players and SD cards. The process is instant and you can take receipt of your gift in minutes.
With more than 100 titles on offer, including this summer’s box office smashes ‘Mamma Mia!’, ‘Hancock’, ‘The Incredible Hulk’, ‘Wanted’, ‘The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor’ and ‘Hellboy II’ at great prices, plus fabulous Blu-ray product, such as ‘Casino Royale’ in the POP machines, there will be plenty of choice for shoppers this Christmas.
POP is the first of its kind in the UK and is set to change the way we buy entertainment forever. This Christmas, POP will be perfect for those who want to avoid the crowds while Christmas shopping. POP is also ideal for very last minute shoppers as some POPs can be found in locations that can be accessed, out of ordinary shopping hours.
Look out for POP portals throughout the UK from October onwards, situated in popular destinations, such as cinemas and gyms, with plans for sites at shopping centres, universities, train stations and airports.
Rachel Wilkinson, Head of POP, says: “Research suggested that people love the concept of instant purchasing gratification, at their convenience. You can already do this at home via the internet, but POP is the first to offer this service to customers whilst they are out and about. Not only is POP a fun, interactive purchasing experience, but customers can buy DVDs and other entertainment whilst waiting for a train, plane or even a film to start!”
Director of POP, Darren Mason, who created the initial prototypes with a manufacturing partner says: “It’s great to see the initial ideas become a fully formed working product, that people will enjoy using.”
• POP is managed by UCA, an alliance formed between Universal Pictures (UK) Ltd and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
• Credit card or debit cards (issued to over 18s) will be required to purchase or download films and games that carry an 18 certificate, for regulation purposes. Debit cards may be used for all other purchases.
• POP will be running a calendar of seasonal promotions throughout the year, for example providing ideal presents for Mothers’ Day and Valentine’s Day.
• Universal Pictures (UK) is a division of Universal Pictures International Entertainment which is part of NBC Universal - one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with 20% controlled by Vivendi Universal.
• About Sony Pictures Home Entertainment:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, (SCA), a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in more than 100 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.sonypictures.com.
For more information or pictures, please contact:
Laura Swann/Olivia Lawrence/Nicole Hurwitz at
Hamilton PR on 01892 546599 email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Olivia Lawrence (Hamilton PR) in the following categories: Children & Teenagers, Men's Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Leisure & Hobbies, Women's Interest & Beauty, Travel, Retail & Fashion, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.