• Broadband users need to be aware of their download limits and fair usage policies before streaming live TV programmes
• BroadbandChoices.co.uk offers its top downloading tips for consumers thinking of using this service
Michael Phillips, Product Director, BroadbandChoices.co.uk commented:
“This new service from the BBC is a positive step forward and allows broadband users to take advantage of exciting new applications and new content. We are concerned however that the wider public may not be sufficiently aware of the broadband usage caps and fair usage policies they may fall foul of when using this new service.
“The BBC iPlayer successfully opened up the downloading of high quality video programmes from a dedicated minority to the general public and this new service takes things one step further with high quality video streaming. As a public service broadcaster they have a responsibility to clearly inform users of the potential impact to their broadband service and punitive charges they might incur through accessing high quantities of this content.
“A live streaming service of this kind will certainly test consumers’ broadband packages due to the high speed connection and substantial download limits that it will demand. It’s important that consumers know what their monthly download limit is so we would recommend using our free Broadband Download Monitor to track downloads and alert them as they reach their limit.”
Best broadband packages for speed – Be There and Virgin Media offer packages with fast headline download rates.
Best broadband packages for download limits – O2 and Be There both have generous fair usage policies compared with other ISPs. Also, Sky’s top package is currently the only service to offer truly unlimited downloads without any caveats.
Broadbandchoices.co.uk 5 top tips for downloading:
• Download at night - If you don’t have to watch the programmes live we would recommend using the iPlayer to download the content overnight when download usage is unmetered or usage caps are often less restrictive.
• Pick the right ISP - If you think you will be a regular user of video streaming applications it is worth comparing faster packages with larger download limits. Our guide looks at the most suitable packages on the market.
• Track your usage - Be aware of your monthly download limit. Install a download monitor (Broadband Download Monitor) and set it to alert you as you reach your limit, before you incur any penalties.
• Boost your speed – If you don’t want to switch providers, there are still a number of tricks you can try to boost your speed. Our guide to speeding up your broadband connection should help you get the most from your current package.
• Be aware of the cost – Technically, this new BBC streaming service is only available to licencse fee payers. As a licencse fee payer, it is important to minimise any additional costs (for example, fair usage penalties) otherwise consumers will effectively be “paying twice” for watching the programmes online.
Notes to editors
For further information please contact:
020 7700 3245
Gug Kyriacou/ Emily Church
020 7655 0540/0550
About BroadbandChoices.co.uk: http://www.BroadbandChoices.co.uk
BroadbandChoices.co.uk is the second biggest dedicated broadband comparison service in the UK and is one of only two sites to have had its calculator accredited by Ofcom. Unlike other comparison sites, BroadbandChoices.co.uk doesn’t just focus on price but total package value, offering consumers impartial advice and access the latest broadband deals to help them make the right choice.
What makes BroadbandChoices.co.uk different?
• Broadband comparison calculator accredited by Ofcom (one of only two accredited UK services)
• Most comprehensive range of broadband consumer guides and advice
• Variety of ways to rank and compare broadband packages according to individual needs
• Detailed package information on over 100 UK broadband packages
• A community of like-minded people where you can read reviews and share your thoughts
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Decision Technologies in the following categories: Media & Marketing, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.