The speedtest results for November 2008 show Virgin extending their lead as the UK's fastest broadband provider, but Orange show a shocking collapse to an average of only 1.15Mbps.
"November has been a month of contrasts, on the one hand Virgin are extending their lead in the download speed stakes and on the other, Orange put in the worst set of speedtest results we've ever recorded for a broadband provider." Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
The results were calculated from thousands of broadband speed tests taken on the broadband.co.uk site during November 2008 by ordinary broadband users UK wide.
"Orange are clearly seeing network congestion at peak times, as at off peak times they compare favorably with other suppliers, it is at the peak evening times that their speeds collapse to an average of only 0.675Mbps" adds Dawson.
Despite the progress made by some suppliers such as Virgin in increasing broadband speeds, the majority of providers have seen their average speeds drop, especially at peak times, with the combined results from all suppliers showing the fourth consecutive monthly drop in average download speeds.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the full results pdf.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test.jsp
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides, discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode search
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any broadband related questions.
For more information contact Fiona Conner , 0115 959 6455, email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.