• Broadband users need to be made more aware of their download limits and fair usage policies
• ISPs need to continue to invest in fast, reliable broadband networks
Michael Phillips, Product Director at BroadbandChoices.co.uk, comments:
“We welcome the proposal as a compelling consumer application for broadband and the next logical step in the development of the broadcasters’ web-based on demand services.
“Consumers would need to be mindful of their broadband download limits since these could easily be exceeded by accessing the type of on-demand and high definition content to which the consortium alludes.
Recent research has shown that 86%(1) of broadband customers still aren’t aware of, or don’t understand, their download limits. If they were to exceed them they could face punitive charges. ISPs must make the limits clear and broadcasters must clearly highlight the size of various types of content.
“Whilst ITV calls the planned services ‘free,’ some ISPs charge customers 75 pence or more for each GB they download above their monthly limit so costs could quickly escalate – and this would be in addition to their television license fee.
“This is an exciting development and we would urge ISPs to continue to invest in their networks to provide fast, reliable broadband services to support it.”
Notes to editors
For further information please contact:
020 7700 3245
Gug Kyriacou/Emily Church
020 7655 0540/0550
Note (1): source uSwitch/YouGov, October 2008
About BroadbandChoices.co.uk: http://www.BroadbandChoices.co.uk
BroadbandChoices.co.uk is the second biggest dedicated broadband comparison service in the UK and is one of only two sites to have had its calculator accredited by Ofcom. Unlike other comparison sites, BroadbandChoices.co.uk doesn’t just focus on price but total package value, offering consumers impartial advice and access the latest broadband deals to help them make the right choice.
What makes BroadbandChoices.co.uk different?
• Broadband comparison calculator accredited by Ofcom (one of only two accredited UK services)
• Most comprehensive range of broadband consumer guides and advice
• Useful broadband tools including a broadband speed test
• Variety of ways to rank and compare broadband packages according to individual needs
• Detailed package information on over 100 UK broadband packages
• A community of like-minded people where you can read reviews and share your thoughts
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of Decision Technologies in the following categories: Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.