The speedtest results for December 2008 show Virgin keeping their lead as the UK's fastest broadband provider for the fourth consecutive month, but O2/Be are closing the gap with the difference now marginal.
"The average speed UK wide has increased for the first time since July 2008, up by 14.02% to 3.667Mbps." Says Edd Dawson from broadband.co.uk.
The results were calculated from thousands of broadband speed tests taken on the broadband.co.uk site during December 2008 by ordinary broadband users UK wide.
"However when comparing download speeds for all providers between various times of day we can see that the average speed drops by over a quarter at peak times showing work still needs to be done to increase capacity to meet demand." adds Dawson.
The most stable provider is O2/Be who see the smallest drop at peak times of just over 11% compared to Tiscali where the difference is just under 40%.
For full details including speed test results for individual suppliers please see the full results pdf.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
About the broadband.co.uk speedtest results:
* Our results are taken from our website users performing speedtests using our speedchecker at http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test.jsp
* We record tens of thousands of speedtests every month.
* Unlike other speedtest services we record the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
by IP address making our ISP recording very accurate rather than relying on self selection
* We are one of the original broadband information and comparison sites having been running since 2004
* With well over 1 million visitors per year we are the UK's leading source of broadband information and advice
* We provide beginners guides, discussion forums, speedtester and broadband postcode search
* We provide a unique free “Ask the expert” service where our broadband expert answers any broadband related questions.
For more information contact Fiona Conner , 0115 959 6460, email
This press release was distributed by ResponseSource Press Release Wire on behalf of broadband.co.uk in the following categories: Consumer Technology, Computing & Telecoms, for more information visit https://pressreleasewire.responsesource.com/about.